Looking for a cheap new motherboard

May 5, 2018
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6970
RAM: 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair VS650
Windows 8 64 bit

Around 2012/13 I got a pre-built PC from Asus (M11AD model) and as I got into gaming I wanted to change some parts of my computer. So I got an AMD Radeon HD 6970 off of a friend and it doesn't work on my computer, it could be that he gave me a broken graphics card but from looking it up, its not compatible with my current motherboard. Its called Asus H81M-A, so I'm looking into replacing that. I'm pretty new to changing PC components so I'm asking for a recommendation, I can't spend a lot on it, I just need one that will do the job and work with the parts that I have listed above

Solution
Because you had the OEM PC from asus, when you upgrade the non-OEM GPU, sometime you will get the incompatibility problem.

If your PC has the UEFI bios, and win8 or win10, then try this: remove the hd6970, use onboard or the original OEM GPU, boot into the BIOS to see there is the feature to disable "Secure Boot", and enable the "CSM" or "legacy boot". If tyou find them, set them up, and save and exit, shut down the PC, switch to the hd6970, try boot up the PC to see it works with PC or not.
If you can't find those features, you will need the other retail brand MB, but you have to find the used one from ebay or amazon. And keep in mind, you will need other copy of Window OS, because the OEM window can not be used on other MB anymore.

May 5, 2018

Alright I'll do the BIOS thing asap. Now lets say it doesn't have those features, what motherboard would you recommend for me (cause I honestly don't know that much about building PCs) and what do you mean by I'll need another copy of Windows OS and how do I get it

What budget do you have? And where do you want to buy the MB? like online?

Like if you don't want to oc the i7, and you are in USA, you can buy this MB https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAGBA7B83499 And the Win10 64-bit https://www.outletpc.com/hb4142-microsoft-windows-10-oem.html?utm_source=hb4142-microsoft-windows-10-oem&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker&utm_content=Microsoft%2B-%2BSoftware%20%2F%20OS%20%3E%20Microsoft%20Windows%2010&sscid=81k2_gg9bt

If you are not in USA, find any LGA 1150 motherboard.

Solution