looking for a compatible motherboard

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018
Currently im looking for a new motherboard in order to use my ZOTAC gtx 1060 and my current motherboard is too ancient to run it, as it needs a UEFI BIOS motherboard.(current motherboard:IPISB-CH2)

so i want to use the leftover components on the old motherboard on a new motherboard that is compatible, here is the list of all the components:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU@ 3.40GHz
ZOTAC GTX 1060 AMP! 6GB
3 DDR3 RAM sticks, 2 of them are 2 GB, and the 3rd is 4GB (total:8 GB)
PSU(if it matters): cooler master 550W

Solution
The fact that your bios lists UEFI boot sources, indicates to me that the board supports UEFI environments and hardware.

I don't think the problem is a UEFI issue. I think it is a lack of compatibility with the architecture of the 1000 series cards.

I'm seeing plenty of 1000 series cards working on H67 motherboards, which is what you have. None of them are OEM motherboards though. That doesn't mean it CAN'T work on there, but you might want to try either an aftermarket used motherboard or simply upgrade the whole motherboard, cpu and memory, because a decent used board that will work with your CPU might not be worth the cost.

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

my bios is too old and cannot be updated, and it does not support UEFI
(HP BIOS)

Does your motherboard currently have the latest bios version installed that is available?

And if so, have you TRIED the graphics card on that board?

What was the result? Was there any display at all? Are you able to see the POST or BIOS screens?

That platform is not so old that it shouldn't have support for the 1000 series cards. From what I've been told and seen so far, there are plenty of people with non-UEFI boards that have had success running them. IF it is an OEM board however, and not an aftermarket board, that might be a different story as it's likely there has been little in the way of recent bios updates through the years that would allow support for newer hardware.

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

can you be my savior? if the graphics card would run on this motherboard i will shed tears. i have been trying almost everything and i cant get it to work on this mother board. i have talked about it in another thread, here is the part that concerns you:
After plugging everything in place, I tried to turn on my PC, I get the normal HP start up screen saying as usual “press ESC for start up menu”. Then my PC beeps once, 30 seconds after, it beeps 3 more times! then it just freezes and does nothing, I wait 5 minutes and nothing happens. i pressed ESC, wont get me to the start up menu, pc is frozen.

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

more info about the bios: i ran a scan on HP website, and it said my bios cannot be updated further
info.png

If you can see that message, then the graphics card is working in that motherboard, at least to some degree.

Try this first. Unplug the power from the power supply or wall after switching off the power supply on/off switch. Take the side panel off. Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes press the power on button for the PC for 30 seconds. Reinstall the CMOS battery.

Plug the power supply back in. Turn the power supply switch back to the on position. Restart the PC. If possible, go into the bios and select the option for Optimal default configuration. Save settings and exit.

Also, make absolutely sure you've moved the monitor cable to the new graphics card if your motherboard has an output for using integrated graphics. A lot of people install a new card but leave or plug in the monitor cable to the motherboard instead of to the graphics card.

For future reference, the PSU ALWAYS matters, on ANY system, A LOT, but especially when you're dealing with graphics card issues on high end gaming cards. For Nvidia, anything from a GTX 1050 and up would be considered high end even though it's only an entry level gaming card.

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

i tried these steps you provided with the new card, same result, i get the hp screen and freezes after 5 seconds.
i plugged back the old card to access the bios, i couldnt find any line that says "optimal default configuration".
the psu i use is: cooler master 550W 80 plus.(MPW-5502-ACABW)

here is few pictures of what i found on my bios:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The fact that your bios lists UEFI boot sources, indicates to me that the board supports UEFI environments and hardware.

I don't think the problem is a UEFI issue. I think it is a lack of compatibility with the architecture of the 1000 series cards.

I'm seeing plenty of 1000 series cards working on H67 motherboards, which is what you have. None of them are OEM motherboards though. That doesn't mean it CAN'T work on there, but you might want to try either an aftermarket used motherboard or simply upgrade the whole motherboard, cpu and memory, because a decent used board that will work with your CPU might not be worth the cost.

Solution

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

oh :/
well than you so much for your help and your decent answers! i was thinking if it was possible to boot the pc with an external drive with some sort of a UEFI rom or whatever? because maybe then i can enable something that it requires to work with the card.

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

i used the link you provided to pick a motherboard compatible with the card and cpu. i think the best low budget one i can get is "Gigabyte - GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard". it only has 2 RAM slots but thats not a big issue for me. i wanted to know what you think and if i should go for it if i can buy.

I understand. That's why I asked. I think if you find any non-OEM (Meaning, didn't come in a prebuilt system like HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.) motherboard that is any of the chipsets that support your CPU, made by MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS or ASRock, it will likely work. Again, verify by doing a search for the specific motherboard model you are looking at plus the graphics card you want to use, and if somebody has proven they work together you will almost certainly find evidence of it somewhere.

yehya.hamzawy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018

can you please check the new thread i made about few motherboards im able to get? i think there is an answer that has a clue of the problem im facing.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3773951/motherboards-compatible-gtx-1060-gpu.html

also i tried to open the start up menu again. it gave me an option to open or access UEFI application, but the the background went blank and nothing happens, i press again and all it do is refreshing the background of the menu

TRENDING THREADS