[SOLVED] Looking for a CPU for gaming and graphic design and does not overclock

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
I do not want to spend the extra money for an CPU that can be overclocked. I would prefer Intel brand. I was thinking of i7-9700F with the Gigabyte B365M DS3H micro ATX (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145169), GPU wil be either GTX 1660 or RTX2060, yet to be determined. I have case, PSU, fans. Any ideas or similar combos would be appreciated. I have put together 4 PCs and redone 2, so I know just enough to be dangerous.

Solution
You can spend extra money for cpu that can be overclocked, because some of these have higher turbo clocks, than non overclockable = free performance. Pair it with non overclockable board, if you don't wanna overclock, but search with higher ram clock support mhz. Also your cpu not have smt, which is free performance also, especialy in multitasking.
Well gpu is more personal taste and how much you can spend on it. I'll take rtx due newer technology.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
You can spend extra money for cpu that can be overclocked, because some of these have higher turbo clocks, than non overclockable = free performance. Pair it with non overclockable board, if you don't wanna overclock, but search with higher ram clock support mhz. Also your cpu not have smt, which is free performance also, especialy in multitasking.
Well gpu is more personal taste and how much you can spend on it. I'll take rtx due newer technology.

Reactions: Klean9
Solution

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I tend to gravitate towards AMD due to comparable single-threaded performance, overclocking on all processors(I think), and their higher multicore performance. Something like an AMD 3700X would give you stellar gaming performance and beat out the i9 9700f when it comes to video editing. At this point in time, AMD is better for everything except strictly single-core workloads where Intel is still a tiny bit better. To be honest I wouldn't even get a 3700x or i9-9700f with a 2060 and especially not with a 1660. I'd say get a Ryzen 5 3600, my personal CPU which runs fine with my vega 64 which is comparable in power to a 2060, unless you're planning to do a good bit of work with video editing.

PS: If you want to overclock on AMD processors just don't buy an A320 chipset. Stay with the B and X series chipsets and only get X if you are planning to do semi-aggressive to aggressive overclocking.

I do not want to spend the extra money for an CPU that can be overclocked. I would prefer Intel brand. I was thinking of i7-9700F with the Gigabyte B365M DS3H micro ATX (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145169), GPU wil be either GTX 1660 or RTX2060, yet to be determined. I have case, PSU, fans. Any ideas or similar combos would be appreciated. I have put together 4 PCs and redone 2, so I know just enough to be dangerous.

Unless you can get the 9700F for a discount price, I would not get any older than the actual 10 gen intel platform. In fact if I had to pick a 9th gen CPU I would really try to get the i9 9900 cause of the extra threads.

And I agree with the Ryzen 7 3700X recommendation. If you wana get intel instead go for the i5 10600/K or the i7 10700/K. When I build working/media/content creation PC I try to make and advice my clients to understand overlocking when doing work is not a great idea. The benefit of the K series is that the Base and Boost clocks are usually higher and thus they should finish the work faster.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and Klean9

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Also, I would not buy a 2060 right now. With Ampere and Navi 2.0 on the horizon buying an RTX card right now is not advisable. In fact building, a new pc right now isn't. If your old rig won't cut it then go ahead but if you can wait you probably should. That being said there's always a new better card or chip on the horizon promising life-changing performance so yeah. Another reason not to go with 2060 though is the poor ray tracing performance. It's in the same price bracket as a 5700xt or 5700, unless you get one of 300$ ones, and the ray-tracing capabilities are bad enough that you won't be able to get good frame rates with ray tracing on. I'd suggest buying a more powerful card without ray-tracing unless you really want ray-tracing in which case go ahead with a 2060.

All this being said I do not actually own a 2060 so I have never had first hand experience with one, plus a friend of mine who has one seems to enjoy it and it gives him 120-144 fps in D2 in multiplayer matches. So it's a good card, just don't expect to be able to do a ton with ray-tracing on it.

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
I tend to gravitate towards AMD due to comparable single-threaded performance, overclocking on all processors(I think), and their higher multicore performance. Something like an AMD 3700X would give you stellar gaming performance and beat out the i9 9700f when it comes to video editing. At this point in time, AMD is better for everything except strictly single-core workloads where Intel is still a tiny bit better. To be honest I wouldn't even get a 3700x or i9-9700f with a 2060 and especially not with a 1660. I'd say get a Ryzen 5 3600, my personal CPU which runs fine with my vega 64 which is comparable in power to a 2060, unless you're planning to do a good bit of work with video editing.

PS: If you want to overclock on AMD processors just don't buy an A320 chipset. Stay with the B and X series chipsets and only get X if you are planning to do semi-aggressive to aggressive overclocking.
what mobo do you have with your Ryzen 5 3600? thanks for your time!

Klean9

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2015
Good points. Thanks!

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I have an mis gaming pro carbon ac. The prices on it are ridiculous right now though fue to pandemic so dont buy that one. Either wait for b550 or buy the msi b450 tomahawk or the gigabyte b450 with wifi capabilities. (You can find all these under b450 in pc partpicker). You could go with an x470 as well, but they, atleast last time i checked, dont offer a great price performance ratio compared to the x570 mobos