[SOLVED] Looking for a DSLR Camera in the range of 700-1000$? Mainly For photography but also good enough to take occasional videos.

fiftyseven57

Honorable
Dec 24, 2016
Just like the title suggested. I am looking for either Canon or Nikon or any other. Since I have no previous experience with DSLRs.
My Budget is between 700-1000$.
Photography Main Purpose
Videography Secondary Purpose.

Solution
For video focus, I like Canon's dual pixel cmos sensor. It tracks subjects better than Sony or Nikon for videos. You have to be really careful buying Nikon for videos, many of their cheaper cameras only use contrast detection which is aweful for tracking subjects. Sony mirrorless all use pdaf pixels and do a decent job for video focus, but only their higher end cameras do an exceptional job.

Canon has the EOS RP which is a mirrorless FULL FRAME camera. To use canon's older EF/EF-S lenses, you have to use an adapter which is another $100, but you can buy a nifty fifty used for like $50. That's puts you at $1150 which is over your budget, however the benefits of full frame in photography are worth it. You get much better low...

kanewolf

Titan

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you. I will take a look. What is the main factor that makes a camera good?
Difficult question. It might be position of the controls. It might be size, if you have large or small hands. It might be comparison of the image quality. There is no one-thing that makes a camera good. I personally would never buy a specific model without holding it first.

For video focus, I like Canon's dual pixel cmos sensor. It tracks subjects better than Sony or Nikon for videos. You have to be really careful buying Nikon for videos, many of their cheaper cameras only use contrast detection which is aweful for tracking subjects. Sony mirrorless all use pdaf pixels and do a decent job for video focus, but only their higher end cameras do an exceptional job.

Canon has the EOS RP which is a mirrorless FULL FRAME camera. To use canon's older EF/EF-S lenses, you have to use an adapter which is another $100, but you can buy a nifty fifty used for like $50. That's puts you at $1150 which is over your budget, however the benefits of full frame in photography are worth it. You get much better low light performance and sliver thin focus area for that fantastic blurred backround portraits known as bokeh.

The EOS RP is a mirrorless camera, if you'll be shooting sports you'll want a traditional mirrored camera. But for people photography, landscapes and artistic photography, I'd buy mirrorless.

With any camera you buy, I'd recommend buying a 50mm(full frame) or 30mm-ish(APS-C) prime lens. This lens FOV coverage is about equivalent to your naked human eye and is great for walkabout photography. It provides a much lower aperture number which can give you very narrow depth of field which gives you that subject isolation and great bokeh look.

If you want a smaller camera, I'd get a sony mirrorless. I love mine.

Solution

fiftyseven57

Honorable
Dec 24, 2016

Canon has the EOS RP which is a mirrorless FULL FRAME camera. To use canon's older EF/EF-S lenses, you have to use an adapter which is another $100, but you can buy a nifty fifty used for like $50. That's puts you at $1150 which is over your budget, however the benefits of full frame in photography are worth it. You get much better low light performance and sliver thin focus area for that fantastic blurred backround portraits known as bokeh.

The EOS RP is a mirrorless camera, if you'll be shooting sports you'll want a traditional mirrored camera. But for people photography, landscapes and artistic photography, I'd buy mirrorless.

With any camera you buy, I'd recommend buying a 50mm(full frame) or 30mm-ish(APS-C) prime lens. This lens FOV coverage is about equivalent to your naked human eye and is great for walkabout photography. It provides a much lower aperture number which can give you very narrow depth of field which gives you that subject isolation and great bokeh look.

If you want a smaller camera, I'd get a sony mirrorless. I love mine.
Thanks for the detailed answer. It really helped me a lot to understand. Now it feels like I have a good direction and reviews make more sense and also the physical aspect of it. I will update you as i choose one and check my grip on it and buttons placement not just the technological aspect. Thanks, A ton.

USAFRet

Titan
Or 20, lol ;).

I like my Sony because they bought Minolta many years ago. I can get cheap older Minolta A-Mount lenses to use with my LAEA4 adapter. Lenses like my 70-200 F2.8 and my 17-35 would be way to expensive to buy brand new.
I've had excellent luck buying used/refurb from BHPhotoVideo for my Fuji,

My 50-230mm and the 35mm prime, both used, significantly off retail.