Question Looking for a fan with a 2 pin connector... but which 2 pin connector do I use?

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
I am looking for a quiet fan with the following specs for a device I have that lives on my table:

• Needs to be quiet (main factor, the purpose is to replace a loud fan)
  • 80x80x10mm or 80x80x15mm
  • 12V
  • 2-pin connector
I found a few on amazon which seem to meet these specs and are in the range of 23-26 dBA (which should be fine as far as I am aware). But they use different types of 2-pin connector. For example this one uses a ph2.54 2-pin connector and this one uses an xh2.54 2-pin connector. Which one do I get? How do I know which one I'm replacing? I found no information online about the difference between them or how to identify them. Any help would be appreciated.

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
If this is a computer device you're talking about, it should just be simple plug and play. I would recommend getting the fan in the second link, the GDSTIME model. It just looks more legit. Simply plug it into any fan header on the motherboard marked "Sys_fan" and it should work, granted you plugged it in the right orientation.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is not actually for my computer, but for a fan inside a hardware enclosure linked here.

I was thinking about getting that too! Only problem is that it's 26 db instead of 23 db. But I don't think it would be a big difference, with errors in the calculations anyway.

Do you actually know the difference between ph and xh? Why do they have different names if they're compatible with each other? Sorry, never built a PC before so I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is not actually for my computer, but for a fan inside a hardware enclosure linked here.

I was thinking about getting that too! Only problem is that it's 26 db instead of 23 db. But I don't think it would be a big difference, with errors in the calculations anyway.

Do you actually know the difference between ph and xh? Why do they have different names if they're compatible with each other? Sorry, never built a PC before so I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not.

The difference between ph and xh are simply physical, though in this case there aren't really any substantial physical differences - but the cables, as you can see in one of the item images, are the same: one's positive and the other is negative. To see if either are compatible with your enclosure system, you'll have to open it up and see what type of connector the current fan is connected to.

Motherboard fan pin headers usually look like this and are generally 12v:
8245_999_fan-control-guide-intel-z270-motherboard-edition_full.jpg

With either fan though you may need an extension cable that connects that fan cable to that system. Check inside the system for what fan is in there and how it's connected.

Last edited:

You might need something like this to connect either fan to a regular motherboard fan pin header if that's what's inside the enclosure:
https://www.coolerguys.com/products...MD2_1z87XtDc6-azoay-XFrkXTm5q8hcaApX0EALw_wcB

donutcoffee

Prominent
Jan 3, 2021
Reactions: Newtonius
I am looking for a quiet fan with the following specs for a device I have that lives on my table:

• Needs to be quiet (main factor, the purpose is to replace a loud fan)
  • 80x80x10mm or 80x80x15mm
  • 12V
  • 2-pin connector
I found a few on amazon which seem to meet these specs and are in the range of 23-26 dBA (which should be fine as far as I am aware). But they use different types of 2-pin connector. For example this one uses a ph2.54 2-pin connector and this one uses an xh2.54 2-pin connector. Which one do I get? How do I know which one I'm replacing? I found no information online about the difference between them or how to identify them. Any help would be appreciated.
3 pin fans would work just as fine as 2 pin. 3rd pin (usually blue) is just for tachometer for better speed control and rpm monitoring.