[SOLVED] Looking for a faster graphic card to replace GTX560 on old computer

Oct 4, 2020
Hello, Looking to upgrade my GTX560 GeForce card to something faster if possible. I have posted some specs below. Please let me know if I am missing any information. I know this is an aging system and any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Aurora
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware A11, 4/27/2010
BIOS Mode Legacy
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 24.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 16.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory 48.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 39.7 GB
Page File Space 24.0 GB

Solution
Thanks for the quick response. my power supply is 875W. Do you think with a new graphics card my system could possibly run flight sims? i used to be heavily into the Sturmovik series but have been out of the loop for 10 plus years. I am trying to patch up this Alienware until I can afford a new system. Also I have a Data: G drive that has 1.78 TB space on it. All i have on it is some photos and Win10 update. is this extra HD something I should utilize or is it suppose to be for something else a best be left alone. I apologize for all the questions and thank you in advance.

Sounds like you built a beast back in the day. Your CPU will get by on modern flight sims, for XP11 or FS2020 it might be spotty though. I recommend you...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There are several choices available. I'm assuming you have a decent 500W or better PSU since the GTX 560 survived. One or two choices for 1080p gaming that won't break the bank would be the GTX 1650 Super, or RX 5500 XT.
The RX 5500 XT is available in both 4GB and 8GB versions, whereas the 1650 S is only available in 4GB.

Oct 4, 2020
There are several choices available. I'm assuming you have a decent 500W or better PSU since the GTX 560 survived. One or two choices for 1080p gaming that won't break the bank would be the GTX 1650 Super, or RX 5500 XT.
The RX 5500 XT is available in both 4GB and 8GB versions, whereas the 1650 S is only available in 4GB.
Thanks for the quick response. my power supply is 875W. Do you think with a new graphics card my system could possibly run flight sims? i used to be heavily into the Sturmovik series but have been out of the loop for 10 plus years. I am trying to patch up this Alienware until I can afford a new system. Also I have a Data: G drive that has 1.78 TB space on it. All i have on it is some photos and Win10 update. is this extra HD something I should utilize or is it suppose to be for something else a best be left alone. I apologize for all the questions and thank you in advance.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think you'd have any problem playing flight sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator for instance. Your aging i7-980 and one of the graphic cards mentioned above are within the minimum specs. Your 4c/8t CPU may even allow better settings than minimum. The card certainly will.

As to the G: drive...
As long as the operating system (Win 10?) isn't on it, you can do what you want with it. The OS should be on C: drive, anyway.
If you have a single physical hard drive that is partitioned into two partitions (C: and G) you can do what you want with G:

Not sure what you mean by that there being a Win Update on it tho.

Oct 4, 2020
Hello Clutchc, Thanks for the advice. Regarding the C and G drives this is what I have. The C: drive has the Windows 10 Update which is 22Mb. The G: drive has a file that is a .esd file with the file properties being 3.23Gb. I have no idea what this is and if it is needed. It is the only file that is on the G: drive. There is 1.79TB of free space on this. I would like to use it for music and other files but i do not know if that is a wise move. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Sounds like you built a beast back in the day. Your CPU will get by on modern flight sims, for XP11 or FS2020 it might be spotty though. I recommend you upgrade your GPU first, and if you really fall back into the hobby, then upgrade the entire system. If you are into military planes, check out DCS, it's a modern military sim you can buy individual addon planes for. The A10C and F18 addons are quite popular. And if you like old warplanes (and not so interested in combat), A2A makes some very realistic addons for FSX/P3D (possibly soon for FS2020 too).

Solution