Apr 8, 2020
My set up is:
Intel core i5 3330 3,2ghz
Asus rx 550 4gb
8gb ram 1333mhz
Mobo biostar h61mgv3
Psu gamemax 650w
And im using a 720p tv as a monitor for the time being

Budget is not really an issue so id like to know which gpu would perform the best with this old cpu. Would it bottleneck a rx 480? I found a new one for a good price some days ago. Im willing to try a nvidia 1060 or one of those cheap rx 570. Im also wondering if i should change the mobo for a gamer one or something since the one i have is a miniversion. Also, would it be necessary to add another 8gb of ram for 1080p gaming?
Sorry for asking so many questions, hope you can help me out. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
GPU: It would depend on the game and settings you use. That CPU will have trouble with AAA games. I'd say if you are playing 1080p games at ultra settings. The CPU would keep up well with those GPU. Since you are limited to 720p. Those GPU won't likely get stressed heavily. At least you'll be ready for a new monitor.

RAM: More RAM could help. I'd only buy used RAM. For the most part games which need more RAM likely need a faster CPU.

Monitor: 1080p monitors can be had used really cheap. I'd get a used one before upgrading the CPU or adding more RAM. A full HDTV (1080p) will work too. Check eBay, Craigslist, Goodwill and thrift stores.

Motherboard: Unless you are building a new system. It's definitely not worth buying a better one...
GPU: It would depend on the game and settings you use. That CPU will have trouble with AAA games. I'd say if you are playing 1080p games at ultra settings. The CPU would keep up well with those GPU. Since you are limited to 720p. Those GPU won't likely get stressed heavily. At least you'll be ready for a new monitor.

RAM: More RAM could help. I'd only buy used RAM. For the most part games which need more RAM likely need a faster CPU.

Monitor: 1080p monitors can be had used really cheap. I'd get a used one before upgrading the CPU or adding more RAM. A full HDTV (1080p) will work too. Check eBay, Craigslist, Goodwill and thrift stores.

Motherboard: Unless you are building a new system. It's definitely not worth buying a better one on the same old socket.

Solution
Apr 8, 2020

Motherboard: Unless you are building a new system. It's definitely not worth buying a better one on the same old socket.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Id like to make sure if my psu is good enough for a new gpu. It has been doing ok for some years but that probably is because the lack of connectors on my rx 550. And im talking about my psu brand, i only bought it cos it was cheap enough. Also, could you provide some advice about which gpu should i go for? All the ones i named above are very similar so i feel a bit confused. Is the gtx 1650 an option as well?

Those cheap off brand PSU are generally poor quality. Right now even the decent budget models aren't very cheap. You may as well look at the good quality ones. Such as the EVGA G2/G3, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold or Corsair RMx ( pre 2019). On the plus side a good PSU lasts a long time. It can last the next couple of builds.