Looking for a fix solution.

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Hello there,
This week my custom built PC has stopped sending signal to my monitor. It has been more than 2 years since I have been using it. My GPU is connected to my monitor but the monitor isn't displaying anything. The GPU's fan doesn't work but all the other fans including CPU's and the case fan work perfectly. Yes, I have checked my monitor and the PSU (by connecting the green and ground and measuring all the voltage drops) and they both work perfectly. There is one thing tho, when I connect the PSU to the motherboard It makes very noticeable and annoying noise like zzzzzzz. How do I know if my motherboard, GPU, PSU or CPU is faulty?

GPU: Gigabyte Nividia GT 430 Series
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz Socket 2011 10MB
Maotherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3

Thanks!

Solution

Never use cheap psu's bro.trust me on that
search for review's before buying any!

Yadhu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
take out the gpu connect the monitor to your motherboard's vga/hdmi/dvi and see if you get a display.
And why are you connecting the psu with the power to it turned on turn off the power supply before connecting it.

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

The motherboard doesn't have integrated video card. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4050#ov. I didn't connect the PSU to the motherboard when it was turned on.

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Ok, I changed the graphics card but, unfortunately the problem still exists :( Yadhu, your profile picture can almost describe my feeling. Could it be the motherboard or CPU? How can I be able to tell, if the motherboard or the CPU is faulty? arrhh Help!!!!

Yadhu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hm..The only way to do it is to check the processor and motherboard individually.
check your processor with another motherboard.if it works it most likely your motherboard that is causing the problem.
The chances of processor being non functional is slim.Because processor don't go out that easily.
If you don't have access to another motherboard.you might have to sent it to gigabyte.They will surely figure it out for you(maybe for a fee)

as123

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Does your pc have a speaker connected internally to the motherboard. If it does does it beep when you turn it on. If so then it is a graphics card issue or maybe a bad setting on the motherboard

Yadhu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

excellent idea! (as123) why did i not think of it?.Connect a speaker to your computer and boot into windows.The speaker must be at max volume.see if you hear any windows log on sound and if you don't hear it.it might be a problem of the motherboard or cpu

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

I don't think its a graphics card issue cos I have installed another graphics card still no sign of working. And yes I am going to buy a motherboard beep making speaker and will see if my motherboard is the problem.

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

I think as123 is refering to this type of speakers that you connect to the motherboard internally.
8d2064aaa80504b2674052686523f157d1eed2bd_large.jpg

But I will also use your method.

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
ok...I bought a motherboard speaker but the speaker was faulty (shorted) so, I disconnected it from its 4 pin connector and I connected the 4 pin connector to another speaker. Then, I connected the speaker to the motherboard and powered up the system. All I could hear from the speaker was a continuous noise like a ground noise.

I also connected an external speaker to the motherboard's 3.5 mm audio output. when I power the system it gives boom sound then nothing after that. There is no windows start-up sound.

:??:

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
TP-Link wireless internet card PCIEX1 is also connected but not working because the card has a green LED which indicates the status of the card and that LED it is not showing its light so, I'm guessing it could be a motherboard or PSU issue? Which one do you think is more likely to be the problem?

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

You might be right and the only way to be sure is to replace it. However, I heard the PSU I have is CIT Black Edition 700W, it's cheap and I heard it has killed motherboards. May be it killed my MOBO to0 :( so I will change that too even though it is working properly.

Yadhu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

Never use cheap psu's bro.trust me on that
search for review's before buying any!

Solution

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Will never use cheap stuff again. I'm buying this PSU EVGA Supernova 750G2 http://www.ebuyer.com/630112-evga-supernova-750w-fully-modular-80-gold-power-supply-220-g2-0750-xr

Botey

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
Problem solved! It was the PSU. and that "zzz" sound was actually telling that. Cheap component will never do for long time and that is what I have learned. I'm glad I didn't spend money on another MOBO. Thanks again for you help!