Looking for a Gaming Display

Josh Dev

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin? Ontario, Canada

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Purely Gaming

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
1920xXXXX would be perfered although I'm open to suggesiton

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
This is something from the community I would like some help on who have had experience with multiple refresh rates.

5. How much are you looking to spend?
200-300 would be idea but I'd go for cheaper or a little more

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
None open to all good suggestions

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
None

8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
No

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
I am currently running a 670 GTX with version 340.52.

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
HDMI prefered.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
Primary

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No, desktop primary.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S If there is any additional information that I can provide please ask.

Solution

Josh Dev

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
I actually own the Acer X233H right now which seems like an older model of that one. I don't know if I would notice any difference.

I was thinking maybe Asus VG248QE but I was wondering if there would be a noticable difference between the two and be worth the upgrade?

DeadWithoutWifi

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015

the difference would be more noticeable if it was a ips panel but the moniter looks great

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What you need is a good understanding of exactly what is meant. You have refresh rates of 60,120,144 Hz etc, which is the amount of times per second a screen will display frames. The higher the refresh, the smoother is any motion. Then there is response time (grey-to-grey, GtoG) as in milliseconds. Most Tv's and older monitors can have a response time @25ms, most gaming monitors @5ms or less, and this is the time it takes for a pixel to go from grey to color back to grey. What this does is adjust the cleanliness of lines, so when an object moves, the edges move with it, not trail it, as in what's called 'ghosting'. Resolution is the amount of pixels, 1920x1080 (1080p) has the same amount of pixels on a 21" monitor as in a 60" 1080p TV, the pixels just being a lot smaller, which is why you have to sit so far away from large Tv's or the picture looks like crap.

Your acer X233H is a 60Hz, 1920x1080 (1080p), 5ms, 23" monitor, in a word, 'standard' gaming monitor.

The Asus VG248QE is a 144Hz, 1080p, 1ms, 24" monitor.

What that means is colors and screen size aside, what you'll find is that at the same settings as you currently have on games, your picture will look the same (1080p is still 1080p) except the lines will be clearer and sharper during motion, and motion itself will be less jerky, much smoother, as you'll have frames refreshed much faster.

All in all its a good move, you'll notice the difference, if your gpu is strong enough to make the difference.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When the 970 was designed, nvidia stated that it was intended to be the upgrade for the 5 and 6 series gpus and the 980 would be the upgrade for the 7 series, so absolutely it's a major upgrade in performance from a 670 to a 970, I really don't feel the 980 is worth the price considering it only gets @10-15% increased performance. A 970 at 1080p can play just about every game you can name at ultra settings and max out a 60Hz monitor. It won't max out the VG248QE in every game at 144Hz, but it will get most titles in the 100+ range.

yeskay

Distinguished

I would recommend this 1ms TN panel flicker-free gaming monitor:

BenQ RL2455HM

Why buy this?

D-sub / DVI-DL(Dual Link) / HDMI x 2 / Headphone jack / Line in / 2W x 2 Speakers

- Gaming-comfort Flicker-free Technology - effectively reducing eye fatigue herewith providing extreme comfort for even the most hardcore gamers after long hours of play time.
- Black eQualizer for total visibility.
- Customize your individual viewing preference - Interchange instantly between four different screen sizes from 17", 19" and 19"W, 21.5"W, 22"W, 23"W to 24"W using the Display Mode. Or take advantage of the Smart Scaling feature and enjoy the flexibility to freely scale the screen content to any custom size. You can certainly use the two features together to get the best possible view for any application or game.
- Fast 1ms GTG response time
- Exclusive RTS Mode
- VESA Wall Mount Option 100x100
- Energy Star Qualified
- Windows 7 & 8 Certified

In short, it meets all your expectations.

As of writing this suggestion, at Amazon.ca it is priced @ CDN $199. No other competitor offers a great gaming monitor at this price point. IMO, Sweet deal!

Additional options to buy from online stores:

Best Buy Canada CDN $199.99

NCIX Canada CDN $199.99

Canada Computers & Electronics CDN $199.99

STAPLES Canada CDN $199.95. It asked for postal code to display price. I used ADDISON Postal Code to get the price :p

Solution