Looking for a Good 1000watt Psu

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I am getting confused by all these different certifications, and just Psu in general. I never knew there would be so many things you need to find, in order to confirm that is is good. I am currently looking at Sliver Stone's 1000watt 80+ platinum, since it is platinum but it is also pretty small ( I think ). I have also seen Cosairs's 1000w Psu but it is a gold certification. I am building in a itx case ( Fractal Nano S ) so I need a small Psu. If someone could tell me which psu is the best or if the psu I listed above are good, that would be great!

Solution
You need perhaps 600 watts (160 watts CPU @ 5.0 GHz, 220 watts GPU, 50 watts fans, 50 watts pump, 50 watts platform, 50 watts to use for random other parts). 5.1 vs 5.0 GHz is a significant jump. Generally, 5.0 GHz may or may not require delidding, but 5.1 almost always will if you want the CPU to last.

750 watts is more than enough. 850 is simply excessive. 1000 is ridiculously unnecessary, and completely unwarranted. Also, you can't fit a 1000 watt unit in that cases.

Also, RGB lighting is worth about 10 watts in the more extreme cases.
What could you possibly doing in an ITX case that needs 1000w of power?????

When it comes to power supplies more is not more.
You certianly want to have a fair amount of cushion but too much power is actually worse.
When you are not gaming and just doing standard tasks like web browsing your PC will not even use 100w, so that will put you bellow 10% on a 1000w PSU which causes the efficency level to drop. Thus your 1000w PSU could pull 120-140w to deliver a 90w load while a 750w will only need 100-105w.

The ML series fans can be destroyed if you hook them into the wrong fan header. What motherboard do you have?

(Also, what mITX board supports 5 case fans?)

UPDATE: Also, chiming on on the capacity discussion: you said yourself that the most power hungry components will need 500 watts if you push them as hard as you can without breaking them. If you allocate a generous 200 watts for the rest of the system, you're still a very far cry from 1000 watts. Why are you looking for such a large PSU? You can not fit enough components in that case to actually draw that much power.

That should work about as well as you can hope for in an mITX build. 5 fans is a bit excessive. I don't think that case supports more than a front 240mm radiator and rear 120mm radiator at the same time.

That's less than I'd recommend when aiming for 5 GHz on the 7700k and also running the GTX1080 Ti.

Ah, that makes a significant difference. The 1080 is only a 150 watt card, and the Ti is 250 watts. One more reason to avoid even thinking about using a 1000 watt PSU, if for some reason the inability to fit and the excessive prices hadn't already brought you to that conclusion.

Regarding the dual 240 radiators, you cannot pull that off in that case. The first will block the second. You'd have to have them on opposite sides of the case (top/bottom or front/back). The only way to run two radiators in that case is with one 240mm/120mm on the front and a 120mm on the back.

No. Max voltage possible on a GTX 1080 is 1.25V. I assume that most cards run at the lowest voltage of 1V. Pw=iv. 150=(1V)(A). A=150. Pw=iv. Pw=(150)(1.25). Pw=187.5. So, at most, when overclocked, 37.5W more is used. So, that means that it won't use more than 150W when OC'd.

You're forgetting that digital circuits primarily dissipate power when switching. You also have to consider that you're increasing the frequency that the switching takes place. That would be about 15% more power than simple voltage approximations would assume. In all, you're still only looking at about 66.4 watts more than stock.

Unfortunately, there's also the nonlinear leakage effects. If you (try to) account for those, you're still only looking at maybe 85-90 watts over stock. You're still a good ways off from adding 150, though.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I don't understand any of this stuff your saying, but would a 850 watt be more than enough for heavy overclock, and keep all ML fans at the consent voltage they need, plus water loop, with rgb on the components?

You need perhaps 600 watts (160 watts CPU @ 5.0 GHz, 220 watts GPU, 50 watts fans, 50 watts pump, 50 watts platform, 50 watts to use for random other parts). 5.1 vs 5.0 GHz is a significant jump. Generally, 5.0 GHz may or may not require delidding, but 5.1 almost always will if you want the CPU to last.

750 watts is more than enough. 850 is simply excessive. 1000 is ridiculously unnecessary, and completely unwarranted. Also, you can't fit a 1000 watt unit in that cases.

Also, RGB lighting is worth about 10 watts in the more extreme cases.

Solution

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

I'm just going to get the 850 watts just to keep it safe

It may be difficult to find a decent 850 that fits in that case. I don't think any of the 850 watt PSUs I normally recommend would fit.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

Sliverstone's 850 watt psu is like 150mm long

I stand corrected. One of my go-tos will fit. The EVGA 850 G3. It's a better unit than the Silverstone, and cheaper as well.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

Is it 80+ platinum? Or does that even matter?

It matters in that your power bill could be slightly affected. The G3 will give you more stable power, better transient response, equal protection from unexpected events, and a lower price tag. If your power is extremely expensive, then the Silverstone is an option, though.

UPDATE: When I say slightly, I mean it's about a 5-15 watt difference depending on the load. That's similar to charging a phone.