Question Looking for a good 4k gaming video card on a budget

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I haven't built a PC in many years, but I'd like to put something together for a TV gaming system. I'd like to be able to get a consistent 60 fps in 4k HDR (my TV is capable of 120 hz, but I'm fine with 60). My old PC has an Nvidia 1070, and I don't think that will really be good enough, and I'm not sure that can do HDR? I'm also planning to do a small ITX case so the smaller the card is, the better. Can anyone recommend something that is good for today's games and maybe even some of tomorrow's? I mostly have been playing COD, Destiny 2 and Fortnite if that helps. I mostly play on Xbox, but I'm looking to get a big graphics update while still playing with a controller on my sofa :)

The RTX 4070 Ti.

It's marketed as a high end 1440p GPU, but its certainly 4K 60 fps capable; it's similar in performance to a RTX 3090 which was definitely a 4K GPU.

The dificulty will be fitting it into your tower; all the 40-series GPUs so far come with very large coolers. Going up in tower size will give you more options.

I own a 4070 TI and it can do 4k but is limited by the memory. That's another reason why the 7900xt performs better at 4K overall. With recent AMD price cuts they both cost about the same.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEOzeSoZms

I agree that it's limited by it's memory, but maybe not as much as people would think. The only game that I've played at 4K that's memory limited for my 4070 Ti was Cyberpunk 2077.

Of course, it may become a bigger propblem as time goes on and games get more VRAM-hungry, so in some ways you could say that the 7900xt is more future-proof at 4K; I'll give you that.

Reactions: GarrettL
I agree that it's limited by it's memory, but maybe not as much as people would think. The only game that I've played at 4K that's memory limited for my 4070 Ti was Cyberpunk 2077.

Of course, it may become a bigger propblem as time goes on and games get more VRAM-hungry, so in some ways you could say that the 7900xt is more future-proof at 4K; I'll give you that.

I do get your point about the 4070 TI. It got a lot of bad press at launch due to the price and the limted memory. But it is likely the best gpu for the price on the market right now, especially for 1440p. It can do some 4k games quite well but runs into a few that are a bit too much for it.

I ended up with the 4070 TI due to my monitor being G-Sync only. I was sorely tempted by the 7900xt but have zero regrets with the 4070 TI purchase, just a great gpu and a nice step up from a 2070 Super.

I do get your point about the 4070 TI. It got a lot of bad press at launch due to the price and the limted memory. But it is likely the best gpu for the price on the market right now, especially for 1440p. It can do some 4k games quite well but runs into a few that are a bit too much for it.

I ended up with the 4070 TI due to my monitor being G-Sync only. I was sorely tempted by the 7900xt but have zero regrets with the 4070 TI purchase, just a great gpu and a nice step up from a 2070 Super.

Yeah, I'm pretty all-in with the Nvidia ecosystem myself (G-Sync, encoding/decoding support, DLSS), so you could say that I'm naturally biased.

And while the price isn't great, coming from a RTX 2080 (similar to your 2070 super) its a huge upgrade for similar money to what I paid for my 2080. Definitely satisfied with it.

Reactions: GarrettL
The OP's question was best 4k card for the price. That has been the discussion so far.

The psu question is correct. Don't use a psu that's out of warranty or does not meet the manufacturer's recommendation. I run a 5800x3d and 4070 TI on a good quality 850 watt psu.

I was focued on answering the OP's original question.

Coming from a 1070, he'll almost certainly have to upgrade his PSU to something better if he intends to game at 4K; all the modern 4K gaming GPUs have high power draws, so articulating which one would be good for his purpose will have similar PSU requirements regardless.