Looking for a good GPU upgrade on a ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

ronin026

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Hello all,

Can I get by with a new GPU upgrade or do I need to look at replacing more. I've got a AMD system I built in 2014. At the time it was a pretty quick computer, and performed well on games. Not so much the case today, I'm increasingly having to pair down the settings to maintain a good frame rate in games. I'm considering either upgrading the GPU, or if I have to MOBO/CPU/GPU. I'd prefer not to for cost reasons if at all possible. PC is as follows

ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
AMD FX-9370
AMD Radeon R9 290
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866
Dual display ASUS 28" 1080p
Thermaltake Overseer RX-1
Antec 620w PSU

Now my motherboard has 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16, and says it does have CrossFireX and SLI support. I'm plenty happy with the computing abilities I've seen from the FX-9370. What would be a good GPU to get my computer running 60+ FPS on new games with setting high or maxed? Or am I looking at a complete rebuild?

Thanks for your time!

Solution
It will absolutely bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti at 1080p resolution. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't run a game at 60fps, it just means that you can't run the game at what the 1080 Ti can run the game with a better CPU. A GTX 1080 Ti is considered overkill for 1080p resolution. But that doesn't mean you can't use it. You might be better off buying a cheaper GPU and a better CPU. But if you have the money, you could get both the 1080 Ti and better CPU later.

Your FX-9370 isn't much different than an FX-8350. Here's a video comparing an FX-8350 vs i7-8700K with 1080 Ti at 1080p resolution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZR-3r-RTfU

Notice the i7 gets much better framerate, but also notice the GPU usage is lower than 100% on both...

ronin026

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017

Fair enough. I was thinking along the same lines. I've been eyeing a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC but not certain if it will work with my current MOBO. Also, if it does, do you think the MOBO or CPU will be a bottleneck for the GPU? From what I've seen its computes plenty fast, and when I'm running full screen graphic intensive games it is able to multi-task, alt/tab quickly, and execute commands on the PC. Albeit the games just run on lower graphics settings to maintain ~60fps. (I know you're far more of an expert than I am with AMD and likely all other chip set. I am not questioning your recommendation, just asking for clarity)

It will absolutely bottleneck a GTX 1080 Ti at 1080p resolution. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't run a game at 60fps, it just means that you can't run the game at what the 1080 Ti can run the game with a better CPU. A GTX 1080 Ti is considered overkill for 1080p resolution. But that doesn't mean you can't use it. You might be better off buying a cheaper GPU and a better CPU. But if you have the money, you could get both the 1080 Ti and better CPU later.

Your FX-9370 isn't much different than an FX-8350. Here's a video comparing an FX-8350 vs i7-8700K with 1080 Ti at 1080p resolution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZR-3r-RTfU

Notice the i7 gets much better framerate, but also notice the GPU usage is lower than 100% on both systems; which is why the 1080 Ti is considered overkill. It won't really get fully utilized at 1080p resolution. It's more for 1440p and 4K. But do notice how much more the GPU is being used with the i7.

Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
volkgren said all I would want to say and touched all the major points.

Just want to ask how old the PSU is and note that it might not be a bad idea to look into replacing that too.

Without checking with power calculators I'd say your system would use around 600W at full load (with R9 290 or 1080Ti). PSUs lose some of their nominal output wattage after a few years. Than again an R9 290 is somehow power-hungry and if your PSU can manage that already it'd probably be comfortable with a 1080Ti too.

I would also say a 1080Ti is way too much for full-HD gaming at 60Hz.

ronin026

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies Satan-IR & volkgren.

I just double checked the PSU and it's actually a Thermaltake 850w Smart series. I forget I did switch it out after I built it as I was installing a liquid cooling system for the FX-9370(runs hot!!)

Great video Volkgren, really helps put it into perspective. I'd like to have a little headroom on the GPU as I do run dual monitor 1080p and its not uncommon for me to game on one and have a movie or show on the other. I think I'm going to save a little money and grab a GTX 1070ti instead. Appreciate both of your guys input, been a while since I've done my research on hardware.