[SOLVED] Looking for a good motherboard and cpu for my upgrade

Dec 9, 2020
I recently got some new parts and decided that I want to upgrade my motherboard,
I have an msi b250m mortar and an i7 7700k cpu.

At first I wanted to only upgrade my motherboard because I had a compatibility issue with my usb c front io port on my h510 elite. But No new motherboards support my cpu.

I wanted to get a new i7 but prices are quite up there, so I have two questions; 1. Is a 10th gen i5 worth it compared to my old cpu? and 2. Is the msi mpg z490 a good buy?

also in case it matters, I have an asus 1060 dual with 6 gb.

Solution
What country are you in and what is your budget for a motherboard and CPU?

What does your memory configuration look like?

If we're being honest, you're really not going to see a lot of gains by upgrading the CPU and motherboard unless you play games that are almost exclusively CPU bound, and there aren't all that many of those out there. Most games rely a lot more on the GPU than the CPU, unless you only play light eSports or other type games that are very undemanding.

Right now, your CPU is significantly stronger than your graphics card. I'd probably be MORE worried about upgrading the graphics card first, if gaming is the biggest priority. If it's not, then there are some options but as I asked they are budget dependent and region...
What country are you in and what is your budget for a motherboard and CPU?

What does your memory configuration look like?

If we're being honest, you're really not going to see a lot of gains by upgrading the CPU and motherboard unless you play games that are almost exclusively CPU bound, and there aren't all that many of those out there. Most games rely a lot more on the GPU than the CPU, unless you only play light eSports or other type games that are very undemanding.

Right now, your CPU is significantly stronger than your graphics card. I'd probably be MORE worried about upgrading the graphics card first, if gaming is the biggest priority. If it's not, then there are some options but as I asked they are budget dependent and region plays a big role in price and availability. Even more right now than it usually does.

Reactions: Moeguy
Solution
Dec 9, 2020
I am in Saudi Arabia, my budget is about $500-$600 for cpu and motherboard.

the reason that I forgot to mention that I want to upgrade my motherboard is because I got a new case the nzxt h510 elite and on pc part picker it says there is a compatibility issue with the b250m regarding the usb slots because it has a usb c front io port.

if there was a solution to that I would definitely take it and stick with my motherboard and upgrade my gpu

also, not sure what memory configuration is but I have 16 gb ram ddr4 25600

Last edited:
There isn't. But, you don't have to USE that front slot either. And actually, there might be an internal PCIe to front USB adapter card out there by now. I'm not sure because I haven't looked for one for a long time. Worth looking for though.

But again, just because there is a front USB C port doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. You can just NOT use it. Do you even OWN any USB C devices that you feel would make it mandatory that you use that front USB C port? Your board has a rear USB C port you can use after all. Maybe worry about just using the rear USB C port for now if you need one and stick with your current motherboard and CPU, and upgrade the GPU, and then LATER down the road maybe worry about upgrading the motherboard and CPU when the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs become more widely available OR something else from Intel, if they ever manage to release something that makes them more attractive than AMD again, which currently, they don't.

Reactions: Moeguy
Dec 9, 2020
I am in Saudi Arabia, my budget is about $500-$600 for cpu and motherboard.

the reason that I forgot to mention that I want to upgrade my motherboard is because I got a new case the nzxt h510 elite and on pc part picker it says there is a compatibility issue with the b250m regarding the usb slots because it has a usb c front io port.

if there was a solution to that I would definitely take it and stick with my motherboard and upgrade my gpu
Nit
There isn't. But, you don't have to USE that front slot either. And actually, there might be an internal PCIe to front USB adapter card out there by now. I'm not sure because I haven't looked for one for a long time. Worth looking for though.

But again, just because there is a front USB C port doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. You can just NOT use it. Do you even OWN any USB C devices that you feel would make it mandatory that you use that front USB C port? Your board has a rear USB C port you can use after all. Maybe worry about just using the rear USB C port for now if you need one and stick with your current motherboard and CPU, and upgrade the GPU, and then LATER down the road maybe worry about upgrading the motherboard and CPU when the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs become more widely available OR something else from Intel, if they ever manage to release something that makes them more attractive than AMD again, which currently, they don't.
I always thought not being able to use it would become an issue, I don’t have any devices that use a usb c port so I guess I can stick with it for now.

thanks a bunch for the quick responses I will most likely upgrade my gpu, and look into upgrading my motherboard some time in the future.