Looking for a good pc only first person shooter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So i posted a hardware question and the Toms community was great in helping me out. Now that i've got a somewhat high end system i noticed the only two games i'm really playing are Crysis Warhead and Alien vs Predator which really kinda sucks as a shooter. Can anyone recommend a pc-only fps? I've been outta the loop for a few years and have been playing fps's on 360. However i do not want to buy the same games i already have unless you guys convince me they look THAT much better on PC (BF3, MW3, etc.). Any input suggested! -Jeff

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

You're probably used to aim-assist playing with controllers on consoles. Lower your mouse sensitivity if you're jumping around too much...it sounds like you may have it set too high. Mouse sensitivity adjustment is VERY important in FPS gaming. As you lower it you'll notice things smooth up.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
yeah it helped a little. i guess i just have to get used to it and exercise patience. i remember when i first bought an arcade stick for marvel vs capcom it must've taken me 50 hours of gameplay and practice before i really started noticing the advantages. slow learner i guess lol.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

One person commented about the significantly greater experience a PC user gains over a console gamer playing BF3. I hate to seem like a troll but I run an older gen PC with a qx9650 and a gtx 295 and play bf3 on very high in 1080 and I own BF3 on ps3 too. My roommate plays it on xbox360 also. I played for 2 minutes on ps3 and could barely play and I've seen it on xbox 360, as stated before. I would say I have it turned up about 70% on my PC and it looks at least 30 - 40% on my PC than it does on the consoles. If you have better hardware than me and at least a gtx 570 I'd say go for BF3.

If you REALLY want to play a PC based fps and you do not mind a significant learning curve, ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead, its standalone expansion, are incredible. The latter runs butter and has better equipment but they both have a ton of mods and a huge military community playing the game. I'm going to warn you again, it's tactical and takes up some serious attention. It's really CPU demanding too.

Good luck!

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Yeah i'm still getting used to BF3 multiplayer. Specifically bought a 360 controller for windows and was getting dominated. Takes a lot more strategy i guess. I guess i've gotten so used to the mindless run n gun style (which i love) of gameplay from MW3. Right now im running a 2600k and a 7970 both oc'ed so it should be able to handle arma 2 but i'm not sure if i'm gonna like it. Games with steep learning curves i sometimes can't get into then i feel like i wasted my money on it. I'll watch some youtube vids.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Play Tribes Ascend
But there are 2 things you have to keep in mind.
1st the game is in BETA so things are constantly changing
2nd there is a learning curve...so use the tutorials and keep practicing

The game is Free 2 Play and you can get a BETA key by liking them on FB

Status
Not open for further replies.