Looking for a good pc only first person shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So i posted a hardware question and the Toms community was great in helping me out. Now that i've got a somewhat high end system i noticed the only two games i'm really playing are Crysis Warhead and Alien vs Predator which really kinda sucks as a shooter. Can anyone recommend a pc-only fps? I've been outta the loop for a few years and have been playing fps's on 360. However i do not want to buy the same games i already have unless you guys convince me they look THAT much better on PC (BF3, MW3, etc.). Any input suggested! -Jeff

Trum

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Counter Strike , Counter Strike source and counter strike are the 3rd and 4th most played games on PC and are only on PC, Strategic Fun its mainly like SnD on CoD

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
haha funny you guys mentioned counter strike. i can't believe people still play it. that game sucked out 3 years of my life. i appreciate all the feedback. i've already borrowed a few games from my friend (BF3, Arkham City, etc.) to benchmark my system but have to give them back. does metro 2033 have multiplayer? (that's worth playing) or crysis 2 multiplayer?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Call of Duty series, i have 2,4 and 6. Frontlines Fuel of War, are you looking for a single player mainly? singleplayer, plus multiplayer, or multiplayer mainly? Halo 2 for Pc perhaps if you like old games. I like Frontlines over battlefield 2, because battlefield had terrible weapon accuracy, bullet misses. Frontlines runs of the Unreal Tournament Engine, so you hit exactly where you have your cross-hair reticule unlike battlefield. Far Cry. I like Crysis Wars tbh, just started it recently, good weapon accuracy, recoil. You have to put the settings lower though :( That's the only down point. Frontlines has some good ping servers, and you get around 4- 64 players. A mix between infantry only and infantry and air/vehicle maps.

carms21

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

If you have a PC that can run BF3 even on high settings and a nice monitor in 1080p than I can guarantee that you will see a complete difference in BF3 vs the xbox360. It will feel like a whole new game! MW3 I am not really sure but I imagine it looks better as well. With any console you are restricted in graphics performance where a PC can take full advantage of a GPU and utilize it better to produce more stunning visuals.

In the end I promise you will see a huge difference between a game on a console and on a PC... as long as you can run it well!

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
What graphics card are you using, and processor? Take in mind that Battlefield 3 will really stress your graphics card and in my opinion is inefficient like Aliens Versus Predator for graphics performance, you will get poor FPS if you put the settings on high/ultra this is regarding you have a single mid to high end range graphics card. If you want excellent performance and full graphics settings modern warfare 2/ 3 would be good buy. If you are sensible, and perhaps see that game-play is more important than visuals, the rational side then you would perhaps choose medium visuals for Battlefield 3 and get satisfactory performance for online gaming. Although i think the Xbox 360's standard graphics would look better than the computer for battlefield 3 on medium settings.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I second 13thmonkey's suggestion. The STALKER games are awesome and the mods just add to the experience.

Tbh one of the biggest differences between PC and consoles for the same title is dedicated servers and mods.
The mods can do everything from fixing little bugs to re-styling, remapping and pretty much rewriting the whole game.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Most of all tbh mods usually decrease the performance of a game, with eyecandy and that. Looking for a mod that you actually like can be quite hard, you end up getting involved in modding yourself.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I'm not being a fanboy or nothing but if you're looking for a FPS that's got a PC Signature all over it then i'd say either Counter Strike or BF3. COD play well on PC but if you're familiar with playing FPS on a joystrick then go with the console version.

Single Player favourites:
- Crysis (1, 2, warhead).
- Medal of Honor
- Metro series
- COD & BF3 (most people critic them but they're worth a shot for sure)

Multiplayer:
- BF3
- Counter Strike
- COD

My 2 cent.

Alex

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I'd definitely play CS if i could but i'm having big problems with Steam right now. Apparently when i tried installing my old CS Source discs it downloaded an old version of Steam. I've been trying to fix this for 24 hours now. *Sigh* Whatever happened to the old days. Buy game, install game, play game. I feel like i've been having nothing but problems with this 7970 as well. BF3 i'll be buying a copy soon.

shiko098

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
As far as PC only FPS's, these days they are somewhat of a rarity to find. The latest i can think of which i think is going to be something really awesome is 'Tribes Ascend' which is a new instalment of a real classic PC only game, if your lucky enough to get your hands on a beta key id go for it, its due for release as a free to play game aswell when its finished! Ive managed to clock a fair few hours playing this game already, its nice to play a game that isnt all duck and cover, it takes plenty of skill to use that spinfusor properly whilst skiing across the map at high speed with your rocket pack.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
stalkers with mods

Although i think the Xbox 360's standard graphics would look better than the computer for battlefield 3 on medium settings

Definitely need to try the stalker games, I would download steam and wait for a sale to come up for it, I like Stalker call of pripyat better myself for the rpg elements, overall choice and the misery mod, but shadow of chernobyl scared the hell out of me at times, so i would buy both if they're both on sale. I wouldn't pass them up, the only think you might be intimidated by or turned off by is the real bullet physics (sometimes your not very accurate at all). This is why i like Call of Pripyat more, the misery mod lets you choose to specialize in a certain type of weapon and be more accurate, but its hard as ! Hope this helps

Also I think they might be close to even or Xbox < PC (medium). I have played on ps3 and have it on pc, I wasn't impressed with ps3 version but i play on PC (medium) and I'm still impressed

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Tried out Metro 2033 and was unimpressed for this being such a popular pc game. It looks great (i'm running a single 7970 and a 2600k both overclocked) but the game/gameplay/storyline itself i didn't think was all that great. If it's a shooter game and it came out for the xbox 360 then i've played it lol. Definitely gonna try the Stalker series once i get a chance to dl it. Since my last reply i've pretty much been playing BF3 online. Really trying to force myself to use a keyboard mouse instead of the 360 controller but it's so jittery. Do gaming mice really help in smoothing out things as far as looking around in fps games? I feel like i have to be dead-on accurate to hit someone far away in BF3.

Status
Not open for further replies.