Looking for a gpu for ryzen build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2019
Right now I have a older evga gtx560 sc that I think is around 7 years old. It is the only used hardware that I installed on my first pc build. I keep having shut down issues, and after a year of trouble shooting, I want to start replacing hardware pieces to see if I can get this pc up and going!

I am looking for any known good gpu that will work on my asrock ab350m pro4 micro atx mother board. I am located in the U.S

Without knowing what CPU you have and what your goals are for the computer, it's kinda hard to answer. My default answer would be to look at a 1050 (low end), 1060 (mid), 1660 (very interesting card), or RTX something is you like to spend money. Sure, AMD has some good video cards too, but they tend to run hot (OMG, I'm biased ... live with it).

Mar 19, 2019
Without knowing what CPU you have and what your goals are for the computer, it's kinda hard to answer. My default answer would be to look at a 1050 (low end), 1060 (mid), 1660 (very interesting card), or RTX something is you like to spend money. Sure, AMD has some good video cards too, but they tend to run hot (OMG, I'm biased ... live with it).

Thank you. I have a Ryzen 5 1600. I am kind of interested in gaming on it, but is mostly a workhorse. I have been playing cod 4 on my playstation, and want to give pc gaming a try.

Mar 19, 2019
Thank you. I have a Ryzen 5 1600. I am kind of interested in gaming on it, but is mostly a workhorse. I have been playing cod 4 on my playstation, and want to give pc gaming a try.

I also require a m.2 slot for my ssd

So, medium gaming/work computer ... 1060 or 1660 would be my first option. Both would pair well with your 1600 (a CPU I currently use on my work computer). I expect the MB is not the issue (it could be, who knows?). Now, shut down issues ... anytime I hear that and we are talking Ryzen, my first thought is memory. Ryzen is unfortunately fussy and oddly enough, memory tests don't always find this issue (I still suggest you run some). Other issues could also be power.

Tell us a bit more about your system ... gonna go out to dinner and won't be back for 2 hours.

Mar 19, 2019
So, medium gaming/work computer ... 1060 or 1660 would be my first option. Both would pair well with your 1600 (a CPU I currently use on my work computer). I expect the MB is not the issue (it could be, who knows?). Now, shut down issues ... anytime I hear that and we are talking Ryzen, my first thought is memory. Ryzen is unfortunately fussy and oddly enough, memory tests don't always find this issue (I still suggest you run some). Other issues could also be power.

Tell us a bit more about your system ... gonna go out to dinner and won't be back for 2 hours.

Thank you sir, here is a post that I just put up today about my issue. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-pc-build-shutting-down-kind-of.3462719/ I remember reading about ryzen being fussy with slower ram, i have ddr4 2400mhz. I did do a stress test on the ram, and like you said everything showed up okay, but who knows.

So I read the posts and replies and recommendations. Tough one. Most of the memory issues I see result in a blue screen. You don't have that. Power issues tend to pop up when you push the system. Again, not what your issue sounds like. So, is it a hardware issue or software .... hard to say. I would try booting from a alternate OS (plenty of Linux OS iso out there that you can put on a USB stick) and letting it sit for a bit ... if the system crashes like b4, then it is probably a hardware issue ... otherwise .........

Reactions: jmad06
Mar 19, 2019
So I read the posts and replies and recommendations. Tough one. Most of the memory issues I see result in a blue screen. You don't have that. Power issues tend to pop up when you push the system. Again, not what your issue sounds like. So, is it a hardware issue or software .... hard to say. I would try booting from a alternate OS (plenty of Linux OS iso out there that you can put on a USB stick) and letting it sit for a bit ... if the system crashes like b4, then it is probably a hardware issue ... otherwise .........

Great idea, I am going to first just make sure all of the drivers are up to date to get that out of the way and then give a different OS a try. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.