Question Looking for a GPU upgrade

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi, I'm looking for an upgrade for my GPU, my current GPU is an PowerColor RX 580 8GB GPU which seems to be on it's last legs. I'm looking to second hand, but new if it is by the budget. The budget I have is £250 max.

The games I play on PC are mostly eSports like FIFA, and games like GTAV, RDR2 etc and I want to be able to play modern and recent games in 1080p high 60FPS or more.

I'm aware of the limitations caused by my PSU, but I don't want to upgrade it now but I am considering it in the future, perhaps around November time when Black Friday hits.

Thanks!

My specs;

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz

RAM: Corsair 2x16GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: PowerColor RX 580 8GB

PSU: Corsair CV550 550w

Solution
Metal.Messiah makes a good point with the Arc A750 but I'm going to guess that you're not interested in anything without fully mature drivers. I'm guessing that because you're still using an RX 580 and enthusiasts are always blowing their hard-earned money on PC upgrades (I'm going to bankrupt myself one day because of this). Since you clearly are smarter than that, I have to assume that you're a gamer, not an enthusiast. ;)

If you're still using an RX 580 (which isn't a bad thing, in fact, it's probably the most sensible path to take), it means that you're not constantly buying PC upgrades like an enthusiast does. I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't enjoy the tinkering and troubleshooting that are involved with Intel Arc cards...
Are you interested in buying INTEL GPUs, like the Arc A750 ? This should fit your budget IMO, but the card requires 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe power connectors though, so your current PSU might not be up to the task.

Another option would be the AMD Radeon 6600. How much are these currently selling for in your country/location ? Btw, buying a second hand or a used GPU always has some sort of risk involved, unless you are 100% sure about the condition of the card, and also the seller's credibility/reputation.

Sometimes we might get good bargains on Ebay, but nothing is certain.

Metal.Messiah makes a good point with the Arc A750 but I'm going to guess that you're not interested in anything without fully mature drivers. I'm guessing that because you're still using an RX 580 and enthusiasts are always blowing their hard-earned money on PC upgrades (I'm going to bankrupt myself one day because of this). Since you clearly are smarter than that, I have to assume that you're a gamer, not an enthusiast. ;)

If you're still using an RX 580 (which isn't a bad thing, in fact, it's probably the most sensible path to take), it means that you're not constantly buying PC upgrades like an enthusiast does. I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't enjoy the tinkering and troubleshooting that are involved with Intel Arc cards as they currently are. You're probably a gamer who just wants to game at 1080p with maximum settings with a good card that works and works well.

As for what card you should get, well, it depends on what you can fit in your case. If you can fit a triple-fan card, then I would recommend this:
Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 Eagle 8GB - £204
If you can only fit a double-fan card, then I would recommend this:
Powercolor Radeon RX 6600 Fighter 8GB - £210

Both cards would perform about the same. Either of them would be a massive (72%) performance upgrade over your RX 580. We're talking a night-and-day difference here. As icing on the cake, both cards are quite below your budget. If you can fit the triple-fan card, I would recommend it, especially since it's less expensive. Three fans can cool as well as two fans while spinning slower which means that the card will run quieter overall.

You won't find a better-performing card for under £250, at least, not in the new market. I don't live in the UK so I don't know what the local used market is like. Having said that, being able to get a brand-new card (with a full warranty) that has a 72% performance uplift over the card that you already have for £210 or less would be a deal that I wouldn't be able to pass up.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS