Looking for a graphics card for a gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilmart

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Not really set. Maybe before the 30th of March, but it doesn't really matter.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mostly gaming, going to connect at least 2 displays to it, maybe 3 later. Programming. Video Rendering. Surfing the web.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB. Going to buy a new computer, looking for what GPU I'm going to use. The power supply will be max 1200W.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU: Intel core i7 2600 Quad 3.4Ghz. Motherboard: MSI Z68A-G43 G3. Memory: Corsair 1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance (16GB)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Vaktin.is COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Iceland

PARTS PREFERENCES: I've had my current ATI card since 2008 and I don't know which is better, nVidia or ATI. I've heard that nVidia has way better drivers and ofcourse PhysX. I want to go with nVidia, but if ATI is better, then ATI it is. Whichever is better.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future, no plans.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would like the card to have good cooling and a good life-span.

If you would like to see my current build(s) then click here (The only difference between Computer 1 and 2 is the graphics card and power supply, only 1 will be bought)

Solution
The GTX 680 499 US dollars out today or the HD7970 is also a very nice card. Nice rig. Just make sure that your PSU is of a good brand, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX types. Good luck
No need for a 1200 watter unless you thinking tri-SLI or Quad SLI

An 850 watter will handle two GTX 680s's .... but Id be hesitant to do SLI w/ different PCI-E slots on your chosen board (One PCIE-3 and one PCI-E 2). With that board Id get a 650 watter

As for the GFX, depends what part of the market you're interested in.....In recent years, nVidia has owned the +$200 market and AMD the below $200 market. The last go round, the 6870 was a rockin card that should have owned the <$200 segment. The 580 was the undisputed single GPU king performance wise .... the 570 and 6970 were almost dead even (tho 570 had big lead in SLI vs CF) and the 560 Ti was the big winner outselling the 6950, 6970 and 6870 combined by almost a 2:1 margin (based upon what's hitting steam servers).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 ----- 10.25%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 ----- 4.37%
ATI Radeon HD 6950 ----- 3.83%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 ----- 3.76%
ATI Radeon HD 6970 ----- 1.85%
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 ----- 3.02%
ATI Radeon HD 6870 ----- 1.37%

I've had my current ATI card since 2008 and I don't know which is better, nVidia or ATI. I've heard that nVidia has way better drivers and ofcourse PhysX. I want to go with nVidia, but if ATI is better, then ATI it is. Whichever is better.

Well as for the top end......

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=877&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=14

Fan boys often argue one brand against another based on personal attachment, but as an industry critic it's difficult to avoid agreement when our tests prove NVIDIA video cards offer a better total graphics solution than the closest competition. As of this launch, that competition comes in the shape of AMD's Radeon HD 7970, a video card that costs $50 more, consumes more electricity, produces more heat, and trails in frame rate performance. After running benchmarks on each video card through fifteen different tests, the FPS results almost always favored NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 680.

As for the rest of the market, I really hesitate to make predictions until we see the non reference designs which I guess we'll see come june or so.....But I expect history to hold. My guess is ....

.....nVvidia will again take the high end
.....nVidia and AMD will battle closely at the next notch down.
.....AMD will take the $200 and below segment

I am a PC

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

hilmart

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I think I might wait for the GTX 680. If not that one then the MSI AMD Radeon R7970 and if not that one, then the MSI GeForce N580GTX TWIN FROZR II/OC.
What do you guys think?

EDIT: Also, what manufacturer would you recommend for nVidia and ATI?

Available manufacturers to me are:
ATI 7970 = MSI or Gigabyte
nVidia 580 GTX = MSI, PNY, Inno3D, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte and Gainward
nVidia 680 GTX = No idea, hasn't been released here

One last thing: Is the 590 GTX worth it?

DM186

Splendid
I would go with the brands of XFX, EVGA, and MSI. But they are all pretty good. I look at warranty and coustomer service to help me to make up my mind.

The 590 is two 570's on one card. To much money for that card. I would get the 680 which is out as of a day ago with the running price of $499.99. The HD 7970 is a little bit more in price.

But both cards are very nice. I don't know if right now you could find the 680 since they were bought as fast they hit the shelf they were gone. Good luck on your choice of GPU's.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=508

Status
Not open for further replies.