[SOLVED] Looking for a Graphics Card Upgarde For Old Workstation.

debudx

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2014
Hi folks , I wanna to upgrade the graphics card of my old workstation , kindly suggest a good one
My Current specs -
i7-4770 cpu paired with 16 GB of RAM. For graphics, my system has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB.

I use this pc for photoshop, after effects and premiere pro ( 1080 p editing )
now i want to do some advanced editings in which the compositions get very complex and I tried editing a 30 mins 1080P documentary on this pc its starts to slow down sometimes i cant sometimes i cant even move the play head in the time line than i change the quality to 1/4 for smoother editing .
Now i have a budget of 400 $$ for the upgrades what parts should i upgrade to get a smooth editing experience i would like to do 4k in the future
Kindly advice what to do , Thank you

Solution
Since you are not gaming but are doing video editing, I'd stick with Nvidia cards because most of the software out there for video editing works better on Nvidia hardware.

I'm guessing part of the reason you are having lagging and slowdowns is because you are running out of GPU memory and/or are running into memory bandwidth problems. A newer GPU with faster memory and and a more modern GPU architecture should help.

I'd recommend a RTX 2060 Super to you. It costs $400 and comes with 8 GB of GDDR6 memory. That should be a sizable performance upgrade for you.
Since you are not gaming but are doing video editing, I'd stick with Nvidia cards because most of the software out there for video editing works better on Nvidia hardware.

I'm guessing part of the reason you are having lagging and slowdowns is because you are running out of GPU memory and/or are running into memory bandwidth problems. A newer GPU with faster memory and and a more modern GPU architecture should help.

I'd recommend a RTX 2060 Super to you. It costs $400 and comes with 8 GB of GDDR6 memory. That should be a sizable performance upgrade for you.

Reactions: debudx
Solution