[SOLVED] Looking for a guide in overclocking Ryzen 5 1600

khangnt2005

Reputable
Aug 2, 2018
My CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
My mobo: Asrock B450m Pro4f
Ram: 16gb 2400mhz
Psu: 600w

I'm new to ryzen, can anyone guide me how to overclock my ryzen 5 1600 for better performance?
Thanks

Solution
I have a 1500x here's what I did.
use ryzen master and slowly creep up the frequency. I used cinebench to test each step.
increase freq a bit, run cinebench, record results. when it reboots, and it will reboot. then you creep up the voltage a bit in ryzen master and repeat the process again.
creep the freq, test with cinebench, creep up again and again until reboot and then the voltage and repeat.
took me about 20 tests to find the sweet spot which is where you can push it no more and the voltage is below 1.35 (voltage AMD says is unsafe for daily use).
my settings were 4.0G at 1.35V ( I tested to 1.4V and still no more speed) I could get no more speed despite higher voltage and proper cooling. so I started dropping the voltage until...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
use ryzen master and slowly creep up the frequency. I used cinebench to test each step.
increase freq a bit, run cinebench, record results. when it reboots, and it will reboot. then you creep up the voltage a bit in ryzen master and repeat the process again.
creep the freq, test with cinebench, creep up again and again until reboot and then the voltage and repeat.
took me about 20 tests to find the sweet spot which is where you can push it no more and the voltage is below 1.35 (voltage AMD says is unsafe for daily use).
my settings were 4.0G at 1.35V ( I tested to 1.4V and still no more speed) I could get no more speed despite higher voltage and proper cooling. so I started dropping the voltage until the system was unstable, then that's where I stopped at 1.3375V.
4.0Ghz at 1.3375V which is a 500Mhz overclock across all cores and threads and with a GAMMAX 400 cooler it is cooler than the stock cooler running at stock speed and voltage.

Reactions: khangnt2005
Solution

khangnt2005

Reputable
Aug 2, 2018
my settings were 4.0G at 1.35V ( I tested to 1.4V and still no more speed) I could get no more speed despite higher voltage and proper cooling. so I started dropping the voltage until the system was unstable, then that's where I stopped at 1.3375V.
4.0Ghz at 1.3375V which is a 500Mhz overclock across all cores and threads and with a GAMMAX 400 cooler it is cooler than the stock cooler running at stock speed and voltage.
Thanks, you are very informative, I'll try Ryzen Master.

voltage is below 1.35 (voltage AMD says is unsafe for daily use).
Care to provide a reference for that? because the last time I saw an overclocking guide for Zen 1000 CPU's published by AMD, I recall it saying 1.425V max for daily use, 1.45 as an extreme max for safety. Most people would look for 1.375 range...1.35-1.40.

Even then, it depends a lot on how heavy loaded your processor is. The board I use for my 1700, for instance, has terrible vdroop so at light loads it has to be around 1.425 so it can droop to 1.37 or so under heavy load (rendering a video with HandBrake) and remain stable. Below the processor's voltage stress limit level (which has to be something north of 1.5 V even for 3rd gen Ryzen, 7 nm) processor life is degraded when voltage is high while current is also high, i.e., power and heat output is high, as when processing a heavy load.

Here's Robert Halleck (AMD's tech sales guru) explaining how he overclocks 1st gen; skip ahead to about 18:15 where he says start out at 1.4 and how he had to end up with his home system at 1.4V for stability.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the references I saw, videos and overclocking guides, said 1.4 is nearing the danger zone and every reference I saw said 1.35 is well in the safe area. as I said I tried voltages over 1.4 for my system and nothing would make it run any faster so I went with the fastest clock at the lowest voltage possible.

if you read my posts you will notice I am a bit cowardly in my estimations (wiggle room is so nice - no two chips are the exact same), I would rather be conservative and have things work than push the limit and get sued for 5 fried CPU's by people following my advice to the letter.

in any case we agree that 1.35 is well in the safe zone and as I said "here's what I did"

the references I saw, videos and overclocking guides....
Well that's part of the problem I guess. Most of us look at those guides and they just perpetuate the same myths.

The essence of it is AMD's never actually published an official guide. We pick up bits and pieces in dribbles and dabs... like that Video by Robert Halleck... but that's about it. Then some people come along and declare something as a fact because they are sure they saw something in a data file somewhere but they have no idea what exactly it means and so they speculate.

Then some other people with premium hardware and a cherry-picked (binned) CPU say something simply because they were able to do it and it's taken as fact and we get this notion you CAN'T exceed a certain voltage just because they didn't have to for their setup. If you can, great, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to do it and still be safe.

khangnt2005

Reputable
Aug 2, 2018
I tried Ryzen Master and tested with my Ryzen 5 1600. I worked out a stable setting at 3.9ghz - 1.3475v. Thank you guys for being so informative, I've learnt alot now.