Looking for a HDMI 2.0 displayport to displayport for my monitor

Branchingsalmon

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
I'm purchasing a new AMH a399 monitor that supports HDMI 2.0. The problem is I can't seem to find a HDMI 2.0 displayport to displayport. I found this but im not sure if its 2.0. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005H3Q59U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1441772328&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Cable+Matters®+Gold+Plated+DisplayPort+to+DisplayPort+Cable+6+Feet+-+4K+Resolution+Ready&dpPl=1&dpID=41EW4m7lfzL&ref=plSrch will this work or if not can somebody give me a link to somewhere I could buy one? It's important that I get the 2.0 because I'll get the 60 Hertz refresh rate

Solution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.2

1.2[edit]
DisplayPort version 1.2 was approved on December 22, 2009. The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode, which allows increased resolutions, higher refresh rates, and greater color depth. Other improvements include multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) called Multi-Stream Transport, facilities for stereoscopic 3D, increased AUX channel bandwidth (from 1 Mbit/s to 720 Mbit/s), more color spaces including xvYCC, scRGB and Adobe RGB 1998, and Global Time Code (GTC) for sub 1 µs audio/video synchronisation. Also Apple Inc.'s Mini DisplayPort...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.2

1.2[edit]
DisplayPort version 1.2 was approved on December 22, 2009. The most significant improvement of the new version is the doubling of the effective bandwidth to 17.28 Gbit/s in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode, which allows increased resolutions, higher refresh rates, and greater color depth. Other improvements include multiple independent video streams (daisy-chain connection with multiple monitors) called Multi-Stream Transport, facilities for stereoscopic 3D, increased AUX channel bandwidth (from 1 Mbit/s to 720 Mbit/s), more color spaces including xvYCC, scRGB and Adobe RGB 1998, and Global Time Code (GTC) for sub 1 µs audio/video synchronisation. Also Apple Inc.'s Mini DisplayPort connector, which is much smaller and designed for laptop computers and other small devices, is compatible with the new standard.[2][12][13][14]

1.2a[edit]
DisplayPort version 1.2a may optionally include VESA's Adaptive Sync.[15] AMD's FreeSync makes use of DisplayPort's capabilities; FreeSync was demonstrated at CES 2014[16] and later proposed VESA to standardize variable refresh rate features to DisplayPort standard.[17]

1.3[edit]
DisplayPort version 1.3 was approved on September 15, 2014.[18] This standard increases overall transmission bandwidth to 32.4 Gbit/s with the new HBR3 mode featuring 8.1 Gbit/s per lane (up from 5.4 Gbit/s with HBR2 in version 1.2), totalling 25.92 Gbit/s with overhead removed. This bandwidth allows for 5K displays (5120×2880 px) in RGB mode, and UHD 8K television displays at 7680×4320 (16:9, 33.18 megapixels) using 4:2:0 subsampling at 60 Hz. The bandwidth also allows for two UHD (3840×2160 px) computer monitors at 60 Hz in 24-bit RGB mode using Coordinated Video Timing, a 4K stereo 3D display, or a combination of 4K display and USB 3.0 as allowed by DockPort. The new standard features HDMI 2.0 compatibility mode with HDCP 2.2 content protection. It also supports VESA Display Stream Compression, which uses a visually lossless low-latency algorithm based on predictive DPCM and YCoCg-R color space and allows increased resolutions and color depths and reduced power consumption.[19][20]

So DP 1.2 is what is mostly out there right now, and that has been out for over 6 years. All DP cables have been compatible with this for years. The fact the cable supports 3840x2160 is what told me that this was a DP 1.2 cable.

DP 1.2a only added FreeSync (AKA AMD-Sync), and still uses the same cables.

DP 1.3 increases the bandwidth to support 8K video, or dual 4K video. It also adds DRM support for HDCP 2.2 which is adding the monitors to the protected chain, which will stop people from being able to copy movies by recording the video out signal. It will still be copyable if the content owner allows for that, but not if they do not. There is data compression built into DP 1.3.

We should start seeing DP 1.3 on video cards coming out next year. I am not sure at this point if the 1.3 cables will remain the same or not. But there is the possibility that DP could use the current DP cables, or use the new USB Type connectors. The standard for DP was updated last year to allow for that. So we could have both types of cables, or maybe everyone will just go to the USB Type C connectors. We will have to wait to see on this.

Solution

Accell

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Hi, I’m Eric with Accell, and our DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapters are scheduled to arrive the week of December 21, 2015. They will be available first on our web site in limited quantities before they begin rolling out to the stores after January 1, 2016. For product information, please visit our product page @ www.accellcables.com/collections/adapters/products/displayport-1-2-to-hdmi-2-0-adapter