looking for a headphone recommendation

i'm not a gamer or an audiophile - occasionally i like to watch a movie online while the wife or kids have the TV occupied in the same room

Looking for a decent set of headphones, don't want to break the bank but do want to tune out the sound coming from the TV or kids

any suggestions?

Solution
Go to a musical instrument store. Those are places people don't think of looking for headphones. Without a budget it's hard to recommend anything, since there is so much available on the market. But here's a few tips.

There are open back headphones, and closed back. Closed back will seal out unwanted noise. You want this to seal out the TV noise. Also look for a pair with a removable cable. That way if the cable breaks you just unplug it and replace it without having to solder. You can also get different lengths of cables or add a curly cable.

I find AKG usually has very high sound quality, build quality, for a good price, and competes well with anything on the market. But you need to watch with AKG, many of their models...

gondo

Distinguished
Go to a musical instrument store. Those are places people don't think of looking for headphones. Without a budget it's hard to recommend anything, since there is so much available on the market. But here's a few tips.

There are open back headphones, and closed back. Closed back will seal out unwanted noise. You want this to seal out the TV noise. Also look for a pair with a removable cable. That way if the cable breaks you just unplug it and replace it without having to solder. You can also get different lengths of cables or add a curly cable.

I find AKG usually has very high sound quality, build quality, for a good price, and competes well with anything on the market. But you need to watch with AKG, many of their models are semi open backs.

AKG K182 are closed back with a removable cable for under $100.

Other brands to check out are Seinheisser, Grado, Shure, Audiotechnica, Bowers and Wilkins. There are others. Brands like Bose and Beats are overpriced and play more on advertising and style. All the brands listed above are those you would find at a music store for things like studio mixing and DJ use.

Solution

gondo

Distinguished
For $67 you can't get too picky. Those 182s are comfy being over ear, closed back, and removable cable. It's a mini xlr cable so harder to find, but they lock in place so never accidentaly fall out. Nice set for the price.