Looking for a laptop for college

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedinegotiator

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I need to buy a laptop for college. Money is not really an issue for me right now but that doesn't mean I want to break the bank on something I don't need. I would like to spend under $1000 but could spend more if it was worth it. Something around $800 would be nice.

I am going to college for a degree in computer science. I would like a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor. I use programs like Adobe Photoshop frequently so it needs to be able to run that program well. I play games all the time but I have a kick ass gaming desktop for that so my laptop doesn't really need to be able to play games like battlefield 3 because I won't do that kind of gaming on it but I think I would play games like Minecraft and possibly some SWTOR every once in a while.

Hard drive space is not a huge concern. I don't store that many videos and music on my laptop because all that is on my desktop. I have been considering an Ultrabook.

As far as wight I don't want anything huge. No 17" screens but a 15" screen that is about 5 pounds wouldn't bother me.

Battery life needs to be at least 3 hours.

I don't want a MAC.

Backlit keyboard is a plus but not required.

Thats about it. The computer is mostly for college and use for programs like Microsoft office and any programs I may need to run with a computer science degree. I would like to be able to play moderate games. No high end FPS games. Photoshop is a must. Lighter is better but I would rather have a higher performing 4 pound laptop than a not so good feather computer.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't need the computer until the end of summer so if there is something good coming around the corner I can wait.