Question Looking for a laptop for writing / light gaming

Aug 27, 2022
Hello, I'm looking for laptop recommendations. I'll mainly use it for writing as I'm a journalist, so a good keyboard would be a very nice touch. I also like gaming occasionally, however I don't play triple A games or games that need high specs in general!

1. What is your budget?
400€ => 800€

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Doesn't really matter, 14/15 inches would be fine!

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Anything above 5h is fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, but only indie games with overall low settings (Don't Starve, Hollow Knight, Celeste...), with the occasional Hearthstone.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mainly writing on Google Docs, with several Chrome tabs open for research on the side. Some gaming, as listed above. Watching TV Series in my bed as well :p

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Anything decent, I mostly use Cloud storage or external storage anyway.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not really

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
More than 5 years if possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
+ : ASUS, because my last laptop was an ASUS and held really nicely for 10 years.
---- : Apple, I've always had Windows and I'm not really willing to get used to Mac.

13. What country do you live in?
France.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thanks in advance! <3

Avoid hard disk drives if possible.

No over-riding need to get Windows 11.

No over-riding reason to get "Pro" Windows for the vast majority of users.

If possible, lean toward "corporate" or "business" product lines rather than "home" or "consumer".

Just from looking at your requirements....you shouldn't need more than a 256 GB SSD for total storage.....but that may well be impossible to find. You may be forced into 500 gb or 1 tb.

Try to get 16 gb ram in a 2 stick configuration. I don't know how commonplace that is in a laptop.

Raw CPU power is still quite important. Don't get lulled into complacency by CPU terminology. Be sure to go to Passmark.com and look up the single thread performance score for any prospective CPU.

Desperately try to actually use a prospective candidate before buying.....because keyboard and display are so important on a laptop and tough to judge with words. You may be forced to rely on the anecdotes and reviews of others. Not good.

If choosing Intel, try to stay with most recent generation processors.

Aug 27, 2022
Thanks a lot for your answer! I agree that I might need to go and try some actual laptops since keyboard quality is a must for me.

I'm wondering if you'd have a specific laptop in mind to suggest?

Many thanks!

Thanks a lot for your answer! I agree that I might need to go and try some actual laptops since keyboard quality is a must for me.

I'm wondering if you'd have a specific laptop in mind to suggest?

Many thanks!
I have no recommendation. I don't use laptops as I have NO need for portability.

I have heard decent things about certain Lenovos....signifying nothing. It may well be that there is a fabulous Asus.

I don't know how demanding your gaming requirements might be as regards CPU horsepower or storage size.

I don't keep up on the laptop situation. Everything I said above would apply to a desktop.

Hello, I'm looking for laptop recommendations. I'll mainly use it for writing as I'm a journalist, so a good keyboard would be a very nice touch. I also like gaming occasionally, however I don't play triple A games or games that need high specs in general!

1. What is your budget?
400€ => 800€

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Doesn't really matter, 14/15 inches would be fine!

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Anything above 5h is fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, but only indie games with overall low settings (Don't Starve, Hollow Knight, Celeste...), with the occasional Hearthstone.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mainly writing on Google Docs, with several Chrome tabs open for research on the side. Some gaming, as listed above. Watching TV Series in my bed as well :p

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Anything decent, I mostly use Cloud storage or external storage anyway.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not really

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
More than 5 years if possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
+ : ASUS, because my last laptop was an ASUS and held really nicely for 10 years.
---- : Apple, I've always had Windows and I'm not really willing to get used to Mac.

13. What country do you live in?
France.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thanks in advance! <3
Hello there!
Id suggest this for $800;
https://www.newegg.com/black-lenovo-ideapad-3-gaming/p/2WC-000J-01H47
If you want something inexpensive please mention under what price you want 400-800 is quite a big range.

ASK THE COMMUNITY