Looking for a laptop recommendation. I do not need gaming

Sep 8, 2021
hi all,

I am looking for a new laptop to replace a very old dell running an old processor and 4 GB RAM. It cannot run all the tasks and stuff i need to run during the day.
I am looking for a productivity laptop. Also i had a second old dell laptop die a few days ago (motherboard, won't load BIOS, etc) and that alerted me that i should replace this one.

I think an intel i7, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM would be good, but would like feedback on that as well.
11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-11370H Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8GHz)

I was looking at Inspiron 5510 with the above specs for about 800.00 but not sure of the quality of it.

I filled out the form to help anyone who wishes to offer advice.

========

1. What is your budget?

About $900-1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6" , but i am ok with a 14" as well, if i can get the other configuration above.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080p is fine

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

It is more of a desktop replacement laptop even though it is replacing an old laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

As good as possible, but not a deal breaker on this as it is a desktop replacement mostly.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No, no gaming at all.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

-Lots of multi-tasking and windows are opened, so i need a lot of RAM.
-A lot of open windows and productivity and streaming from the web at the same time. And some programming, but this would be done through an ssh terminal, rdp sessions, etc., not running or compiling on the laptop itself.
-And running financial heavy websites with a lot of data graphics and charts in browser, and
-lot of editing of docs on cloud (multiple docs running in Chrome) and
-running an ebay store (browser based, but requires lots of open tabs for product configuration/photo uploading).
-Chrome running around 30 tabs is always on.

The current laptop runs out of RAM and CPU spikes, especially with browser based video, and sticks at 100% and it is terribly old and will probably fail soon.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

512 GB SSD should be ok. I plan to mirror a 100GB Google drive right off the bat, and assuming OS takes up 50GB, 350 GB extra should be ok.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

This is a question of mine. I really don't trust a lot of the resellers and have seen lots of bad reviews on amazon that hint at the reseller, and would prefer to buy direct from dell.com or lenovo.com, etc and extend the warranty/support to 2 years from the direct manufacturer,

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 5 years so i would prefer quality. Is lenovo better quality than say dell?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't have a need for one right now, but recommendations on attachable dvd drive is welcome.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Dell, but I think lenovo has better reviews due to quality and lifespan. Any other suggestions are welcome.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I see some recommendations in the other threads that look good like this one below (below)

I know this config is in my price range on Dell Inspiron, (about 800.00)

I see it on the lenovo website (the last one) for 1049.30 which would be ok.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...series/lenovo-thinkbook-15-g2-itl/xxtbxtmi500

Lenovo ThinkBook ThinkBook 15 G2 (Lenovo)
Intel Core i7-1165G7
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz
512 GB PCIe SSD
1080P /WiFi 6 /Thunderbolt 4
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
3.75 lbs

-Also can someone help with understanding advantage of AMD cpu vs. Intel cpu?. ....not sure how that applies to real life for what i am doing in tasks listed above.

-My main question has to do with a good reliable brand. Are Dell Inspiron's ok, or am I better of with Lenovo.

-Also, I am hesitant to buy from resellers and would like to buy direct if possible

-I don't need windows 10 pro, but if that is what is offered (see Thinkbook above), will it cause any issues for most of the home use? I really do not need Pro features (the security and domain and group provisioning, Active Directory, etc)

- I noticed one of the 8GB RAM is soldered on the ThinkBook. I know this cannot be replaced. The other is a DIMM. Is the soldered RAM ok? What if it fails?

Thanks in advance.

Looks good to me.
I like the Lenovo keyboards.
I would not worry about soldered ram.
It is there to save weight.
Failure of ram is uncommon, and such failure is no different than other components failing.
No problem with PRO.
I like it because you can better manage your windows upgrades.
You can defer major upgrades for up to a year.

Sep 8, 2021
Looks good to me.
I like the Lenovo keyboards.
I would not worry about soldered ram.
It is there to save weight.
Failure of ram is uncommon, and such failure is no different than other components failing.
No problem with PRO.
I like it because you can better manage your windows upgrades.
You can defer major upgrades for up to a year.
thank you for the feedback.