Question Looking for a mechanical keyboard for a friend

ShySloth

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Hello everyone,

So I am looking for a keyboard for a friend, here are the specs he is interested in; Has to be a full keyboard with a num-pad, NO RGB (He really doen't like RGB). Cherry MX blue switches preferably, dedicated media keys would be a plus, but they are not mandatory. I guess the budget would be around 150-200 euros. I know that this is quite specific, but any effort would be greatly appreciated :)

Ralston18

Titan
I will add in another suggestion:

Keyboards are subjective in many ways. Take your friend to a few stores and go literally "hands on" with as many keyboards as possible.

Fit and feel is very important especially if long term typing is expected. Some people can readily adapt to a new keyboard of any type and nature. Other people - not so much.

Plus you have the advantage of actually touching the keyboard to get a sense of how well it is designed and constructed. Heavy typing may wear some keyboards out. Plus some keyboards lose the lettering very quickly from being constantly rubbed. May make the keyboard difficult to use for those without touch "memory".

ShySloth

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
You do realize that if a keyboard he likes has lighting, nothing is forcing him to have it turned on right?

https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Switch-Standard-Corded-Keyboard/dp/B0018ACJXW?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_10
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/ look for MX Blue there
Leopold keyboards are pretty good, I have one, nice build https://www.amazon.com/Leopold-Mechanical-Keyboard-Doubleshot-Keycaps/dp/B07BQV8416?th=1

Yeah I am aware that he can do that, and I guess I phrased it wrong, he doesn't like RGB, but he doesn't mind a white backlight for example. Thanks for the suggestions :)

ShySloth

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
Did you know that there's a website for finding pc components and accessories that has a fantastic filter system?

I went ahead and did the filtering for you already.

Just peruse the list and find one that he wants.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product...2,41,36,27,18,31,47&T=0&k=1&sort=price&page=1

I was not aware,I wanted to try and find a keyboard myself for him, but I honestly don't know how to properly do the research, I trust people like you that a know a thing or two on where to look, but thank you very much for your suggestion, have a nice day :)

ShySloth

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I will add in another suggestion:

Keyboards are subjective in many ways. Take your friend to a few stores and go literally "hands on" with as many keyboards as possible.

Fit and feel is very important especially if long term typing is expected. Some people can readily adapt to a new keyboard of any type and nature. Other people - not so much.

Plus you have the advantage of actually touching the keyboard to get a sense of how well it is designed and constructed. Heavy typing may wear some keyboards out. Plus some keyboards lose the lettering very quickly from being constantly rubbed. May make the keyboard difficult to use for those without touch "memory".

Yeah you are right about, and I agree that it would be the option to go to a store and check a lot of keyboards, but since I live in Greece, we don't always get certain brands of keyboards or any PC peripherals. So, unfortunately for some keyboards, we are forced to just buy them online. Thank you very much for your time and your advice, have a nice day :)

ShySloth

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I'm sorry, I can't really recommend anything based on price since I don't know where to shop online for Greece.

And the reason I gave a link to Dutch pcpp was because of the euro.

Yeah no worries man, if we are going to order something, it's either going to be from Amazon or some of other recommended sites

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Never understood the fascination with blowing $80-$250 mechanical /RGB keyboards over the simple $30 wireless keyboard/mouse combos from Logitech...

Doubt I ever will :)
I find your comment to be annoying.
You make it seem like you are trying too look down on those who spend $80-$100 on a mechanical keyboard, but all I see is ignorance.

If you were to actually read up on the differences between a cheap $30 membrane keyboard and a mechanical one, and learn something about it, you would then understand and know why people buy them.

However, I will agree on the $250 part. I would never spend more than $100 max on a feature rich mechanical keyboard with back lit keys.

But as long as you don't bother to learn, and continue to spout off ignorant comments like this one, then yeah, I doubt you will ever know why too. ;)

Never understood the fascination with blowing $80-$250 mechanical /RGB keyboards over the simple $30 wireless keyboard/mouse combos from Logitech...

Doubt I ever will :)

Have you used a good keyboard before? True some people don't like the feel of the mechanical keys and actually want the cheaper ones but in most cases, especially for pro IT people or writers, a good keyboard is as necessary as coffee. Keyboard/mouse/monitor are your interfaces to the computer, if those are not something a person enjoys using, they are cheating themselves out of a good experience.

My main PC setup I think I spent less on it than I did on the keybaord/mouse/monitor setup, although I got most parts through trades or used.
Between work and home systems, I have about $350 worth of keyboards and another $150 in mice. Never regretted getting what I got.