[SOLVED] Looking for a Mini-ITX mobo that supports Ryzen 3000s without BIOS worry

lordhans

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I am helping my dad with a mini PC build and was suggested a MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard for a AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor.

The problem is that the MSI B450I I got doesn't support Ryzen 3 out of the box -- only Ryzen 2000s. The BIOS has to be updated for it to work with 3000s. The mobo has no EZ-flash. You have to install an older compatible AMD CPU to get it to boot and then flash BIOS. I don't have access to an old AMD. I tried taking it to Best Buy but they said they can't flash the BIOS for me. I'm going to return the MSI mobo and get something else. The problem is all the mobos I seem to be finding are a 'lottery' as far as if they have an updated BIOS that supports the 3000 series Ryzens.

Does anyone know of a mini form-factor mobo that supports a Ryzen 3400 out of the box without worry of BIOS updates? Thanks.

Solution
Sure thing!

You didn't specifically state Mini-ITX, but 'small form factor mobo that supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box'. Micro-ATX is considered SFF.
There was one mobo I forgot, but it's another Micro-ATX, so I'll leave it out.

No big deal though, as there are some that fit your needs.
You may have noticed that there aren't many options. The market demand for SFF boards and cases is small; they don't sell very well, unfortunately, with some manufacturer's having backed out completely.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sure thing!

You didn't specifically state Mini-ITX, but 'small form factor mobo that supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box'. Micro-ATX is considered SFF.
There was one mobo I forgot, but it's another Micro-ATX, so I'll leave it out.

No big deal though, as there are some that fit your needs.
You may have noticed that there aren't many options. The market demand for SFF boards and cases is small; they don't sell very well, unfortunately, with some manufacturer's having backed out completely.

Solution