[SOLVED] Looking for a Monitor recommendation to solve MicroStutter issues

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Evening All,

Currently having micro stutters in some games, (what appear to be frame drops without actually loosing FPS) all my research points me to my crappy monitor. Its only 60hz 1080p and was already an out of date model when I bought it 5 years ago. My PC build on the other hand is brand new.

I was hoping for some recommendations for monitors, torn between going 1440P or sticking with 1080p. I do know I want higher refresh rate. My budget is up to 280.

I was hoping to keep games at ULTRA settings (so sticking with a lower resolution is totally fine for me )

My setup:
i7 9700K
GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER (OC)
16 GB DDR 4 (2666) Ram

Solution
I think it's worth it, because you will have spikes that are higher or lower than that, and generally anything from 44-144/240hz could be a lot smoother when there is no tearing involved. Also, maybe it's not the monitor? But if it is, then maybe any decent monitor becomes an improvement but at this stage of the game I would be disinclined to not go with a monitor that doesn't have at least a 75hz refresh rate and preferably at least 100hz, and most are either 60/144/240 these days, and some kind of either G-sync or Freesync as well.

Also, at 1440p, if you go that route, dropping some settings tends to not result in AS big a loss of visual candy because it already looks better than at 1080p anyhow, at any given "setting" level. And at...
This is a little more expensive than your budget, but it's a very good option. 27" 1080p. Fully G-sync compatible. 240hz refresh rate. Excellent display. I have the 32" 1440p version of this display and it's pretty much flawless for gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG 27GK750F-B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor ($326.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $326.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-28 17:00 EDT-0400

If you want something cheaper, I might look at this, which works fine with G-sync as well:

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: Asus VG278Q 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($267.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $267.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-28 17:07 EDT-0400

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Hmmm , my budgets can move arround if the product is worth it. I have an Asus now, and the picture had always been fuzzy. LG is pretty well known for having really good screens. It maybe worth the jump up. Decisions decisions. In your honest opinion is it worth the bump up to 32 inches ? For the price difference ?

If you go to 32", you will want to move up to 1440p. At 27" 1080p is at the edge of what looks good, but for me it's ok. At 32", no way. It has to be at least 1440p at that size otherwise you are just going to be looking at square pixels instead of a clear image. It will be horrible. Not even sure they still sell any that way.

And for 1440p with your graphics card, which is what I have in terms of it being a 2060 Super, you are probably going to have to drop some quality settings in some games if it's a demanding one if you want to maintain anything near enough FPS to make having a display at 144hz or higher even worth having. Doesn't make much sense to hover around 60FPS if you have a high refresh display. Even without tearing since it has good sync, you still don't get a smooth transition which is the whole point of high refresh.

I think it's worth it, because you will have spikes that are higher or lower than that, and generally anything from 44-144/240hz could be a lot smoother when there is no tearing involved. Also, maybe it's not the monitor? But if it is, then maybe any decent monitor becomes an improvement but at this stage of the game I would be disinclined to not go with a monitor that doesn't have at least a 75hz refresh rate and preferably at least 100hz, and most are either 60/144/240 these days, and some kind of either G-sync or Freesync as well.

Also, at 1440p, if you go that route, dropping some settings tends to not result in AS big a loss of visual candy because it already looks better than at 1080p anyhow, at any given "setting" level. And at 1080p, you won't HAVE to drop settings as far if a certain game is not hitting the FPS you want to see.

Solution