Looking for a multy purpose monitor

Lucifer2501

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a nice desktop monitor that will serve a few purposes.

1) I play a variety of games:
Most of the Blizzard franchise on PC and some civilisation type games or total war
Witcher, battlefield and hopefully some Halo 5 on the Xbox One

2) I do not own a TV or TV license/box
This monitor will also be used to watch movie and series
It will be place about 3-4 metres from the couch and watched by 2 people at once (most of the time)

3) May occasionally be used as a workstation
If I happen to take work home, it will be large excel spreadsheets, power point presentation and large posters

My criteria aren't set in stone, if you think I need something different please suggest it.
My budget will be no higher than 500GBP if I buy it soon but might be closer to 1000GBP if I wait till the christmas season.

Here is what I (think) I need from my panel:
Ultra wide panel 21:9
Large 34"
Resolution 1440p or maybe 4K if possible
Refresh rate 120Hz or more ^^
Good connectivity with a display port and 1 or 2 HDMIs
Fast 5ms response time and low input lagg (if possible)
IPS (totally flexible on this as I'm not an expert in these technologies)

Additional info of my current build and what I am thinking of upgrading to in bold
CPU: AMD FX6350 --> intel i5 6600K
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 --> MSI Z170A Gaming M7
GPU: MSI R9 270X --> MSI R9 390
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 --> Avexir core series 2x4GB DDR4
PSU: 500W 80+bronze --> 750W or 850w 80+

Questions to be answered:
What kind of refresh rates, resolution and screen size will my current or next build handle?

Do you agree with my criteria or would you change anything? maybe focus on other important aspects of the panel?

Will a 500GBP budget get me what I want or should I wait a little and save some more?

and finally, which panel should I go for?

Thank you for all the help, I'll make sure to choose the best answer as soon I have it;

A single 390 is going to mean compromises at 4K and even 1440p in some demanding games if you want to hit 60FPS. No single GPU is going to max all the most demanding games at 1440p or 4K at 60FPS; let alone 120FPS on max settings even with AA toned down or off. I'd say for 1440p with a single R9 390 you're looking at 40-60FPS in the most demanding games with a few settings turned down. R9 390 should be just a hair slower than an R9 390X (like 3-6 FPS http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-amd-radeon-r9-390-8gb-review) so this should give you an idea of performance at 3440x1440p http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/100/3440x1440-benchmarked-amd-radeon-r9-fury-295x2-more/index.html.

I do recommend IPS or PLS over TN; they look way better color wise; I have a 1440p PLS as well as 1440p TN and the PLS looks much, much better. But to me 60hz+better colors is better overall than 120hz+washed out colors.

Lucifer2501

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

ok so RababNoor recomended the LG 34UM95 which seems to be a good 40% off on amazon. This is a tempting option so lets assume that is what i buy, and that I upgrade my rig to an i5 6600K + R9 390.
Would I be able to enjoy RTS games such as heroes of the storm at max settings?
The more demanding games, I don't mind playing "smart" with my visual settings t get more enjoyable frame rates.

The more graphics demanding games like battelfield 4 and Witcher 3 are on the Xbox One so that should not be an issue with frame rates and such.

Heroes of the Storm not a demanding game; should be fine maxed http://2p.com/5174959_1/Heroes-of-The-Storm-Running-Test-by-alisalin ; you'll still get higher FPS with higher settings than the Xbox One with a 390 on demanding games even at 1440p vs 900p. For example the Witcher 3 is locked at 30FPS on Xbox One, as will be anything too demanding; and that will be with a lot of advanced options turned off most likely on the Xbox One.

Lucifer2501

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015

Thank you for the suggestion. With that discount on amazon I think that is what I will be going for.
Could you help me one more time though. After finding a few reviews of this monitor, such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4 , I have seen some people complaining about back light bleeding.

Has this been fixed in later revisions of the monitor?
And do you think the GPU i'm looking at (MSI R9 390) would be a good option to play RTS on high or max settings?

thanks again