Looking for a new CPU ...

NelGaming

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Hello ,

I am planning to buy a new CPU since the fx-4170 is just to slow for my needs and its bottlenecking my new GTX 970 STRIX.
I can't decide between 4790k , 4690k,1231 v3 or maybe (the cheapest option) the 8350.
I think that 8350 is kinda old but I have no experience with the performance of it.
I am aware that the 1231 v3 can't be overclocked.

I want this CPU to last me few years since I dont have that kind of money to upgrade every year.
I will be using this PC for gaming and doing some lite rendering and maybe livestreaming.

I have no Idea what motherboard to pick , but I am leaning to the ASUS Z97M-Plus since I wont be using SLI or any other PCI cards and its cheaper than the PRO for 50 EUR.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes ,english is not my first language.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Well, since you already have an AM3+ platform of that caliber... that might make a difference in my recommendation. Yes, the FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz has no problem keeping up with the R9-290X, even in "Uber" mode. In that case, you might indeed want to save some money and upgrade the FX-4170 to the FX-8350 or 8370. I can't imagine the FX 83xx being a bottleneck to newer cards for quite some time. I used to have an i5-2500K @ 4.2GHz with this card. I notice no difference in game play. And benchmarks I've run show the FX-8350 and the i5-2500K as pretty evenly matched.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For gaming, there's no sense buying an i7. There's no gfx card available that the i5 can't keep up with... and then some. And no game I know of that makes use of the i7's extra capabilities. Put that money towards a faster gxf card.
Since you are starting fresh, and you don't seem to mind the extra expense of the Intel platform, I would suggest ignoring the FX-83xx platform and stay with Intel. You won't go wrong with any Asus Z97.

NelGaming

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013
Thank you for your anwser!
I already have a gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard which a am using with the AMD fx 4170. I also have a GTX 970 STRIX which I got a week ago. The money isnt too big of a problem but the cheaper it is , the better my wallet will feel :p So will I be better of with the I5 or the xeon since it preforms like a non k i7 4790 or the 8350. I a said i would like to have this PC for a while since a dont have the money to upgrade every year.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well, since you already have an AM3+ platform of that caliber... that might make a difference in my recommendation. Yes, the FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz has no problem keeping up with the R9-290X, even in "Uber" mode. In that case, you might indeed want to save some money and upgrade the FX-4170 to the FX-8350 or 8370. I can't imagine the FX 83xx being a bottleneck to newer cards for quite some time. I used to have an i5-2500K @ 4.2GHz with this card. I notice no difference in game play. And benchmarks I've run show the FX-8350 and the i5-2500K as pretty evenly matched.

Solution

NelGaming

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

Ok thank you for all the help !
One last thing do you reccomend the h60 as the cooler ? I am thinking about getting the Hyper 212 or Shadow Rock Slim or something around that price point.

NelGaming

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2013

Ok so after doing quite alot of reaserch , I've decidet to go with the xeon or the i5 with the Hyper 212.

Thank you for your quick and very helpful anwsers !