Looking for a new desk and chair

swoozm8

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
Hey, I was thinking about getting a new chair and desk for my setup, tell me what you have and what would u buy.

Solution
Cheap PC tables tend to be too small, and ...... cheap. When looking for something for my daughter, I ended up buying the Ikea "Ivar" Shelving system; at 83cm wide, it is enough for a full sized keyboard and mouse mat with room to spare, and the 50cm depth gives her plenty of room to move the keyboard back when she wants to use her racing wheel or graphics tablet (they do a 30cm version as well)
3 different height options for the side panels and shelf mounting points every 2" means you can set the heights to near perfection, plus it is all SOLID wood, no cheap laminates or fibreboard.

best of all, you dont have to buy a specific set, everything is sold individually, so you buy what you need; here is what I started with...
I personally have a business chair from costco, with my setup being on a micke desk from ikea. Definitely not the most sturdy, but cheap and affordable nonetheless. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd invest in a vertagear racing chair and a sturdy, reputable desk. All depends on your budget.

I built my own desk. It's quite durable, the exact height I want and designed to match my uses. Appearance could be nicer. It's utilitarian as is. I modified one I made in high school to reinforce it, better meet my needs and keep all cables off the floor. Since I didn't have the necessary skills or tools back then.

I'll keep using it until I have the time to build a nicer looking one. Which I think I will go with a floating desk design (wall mounted) with built in ATX mounting and HEPA filtration . Providing easy access underneath for vacuuming.

I just use a wooden chair. Frankly I like them better than cushioned roller chairs.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Cheap PC tables tend to be too small, and ...... cheap. When looking for something for my daughter, I ended up buying the Ikea "Ivar" Shelving system; at 83cm wide, it is enough for a full sized keyboard and mouse mat with room to spare, and the 50cm depth gives her plenty of room to move the keyboard back when she wants to use her racing wheel or graphics tablet (they do a 30cm version as well)
3 different height options for the side panels and shelf mounting points every 2" means you can set the heights to near perfection, plus it is all SOLID wood, no cheap laminates or fibreboard.

best of all, you dont have to buy a specific set, everything is sold individually, so you buy what you need; here is what I started with

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/ivar-shelving-unit-pine-spr-89006796/

Then I added a lower, half width unit as a printer and PC stand, as she is too small to reach the higher shelf yet (only 5).

Chairs are a different matter, you need to go try them out, as everyone is a slightly different body shape, and what is perfect for some may be really uncomfortable for others.

Solution