[SOLVED] Looking for a new Gaming Computer Build Recommendations for my kid

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hi

I am looking for suggestions to build a gaming computer for my kid. The last computer I build was over 8 years ago and it was not a gaming computer. I am completely out of touch on current hardware and do not play games at all. Preferably a system that he can take to college in 2 years and upgrade as required. I am assuming that build system would be better than a pre-built?

My kid plays games on PS4 and wants to move on to a gaming computer.

The games he would like to play are Warzone, Valorant, CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, Forza, Control, Crysis 3 and Cold War.

Approximate Purchase Date: Looking for Labor Day sales

Budget Range: $2,000 to $2,500 (if we can build a system for less that would be fine as well $1,500 -$1,800 possible excluding monitor cost?)

System Usage: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor:
Probably yes. Currently he has this monitor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGYM5H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: Yes Windows 10

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NewEgg, Amazon and as recommended

Parts Preferences: Don’t know if we should go with Intel or AMD. 16 GB Ram

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Don’t know

Your Monitor Resolution: Open to suggestions

Additional Comments: A quite PC. We have Google Mesh at home. I have spare HDD, but we will need SSD.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Kid wants to move from PS4 to gaming computer

I do have a desktop that is not being used. It has Intel i5 2500k, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600), BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, Antec Earth Watts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS

Can the i5 be upgraded to a gaming computer for backup gaming computer at home? Right now it is unplugged and perhaps we can use it for spare gaming rig?

I also have a spare case Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

Thanks for your help and regards!

Solution
1) Very good.

2) Buy a 1tb samsung 860 evo.
You can then use the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive from the HDD to the ssd.
The app is a C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
I have used it many times without issue.
The 860 evo will be the best performing ssd, but for perhaps $20 less, the 860 or 970 QVO drives are good.
They read as fast as the evo, but sustained writes are not so quick.

Repurpose the HDD drives to be external backups.
All you need is a usb to 3.5" adapter cable, or for a neater setup a external housing.
In these days of ransomware, scams, viruses and so on, you should have EXTERNAL backup of anything that would be awkward to lose.

3) Unless you are multitasking, while gaming...
Not sure if you have family or travel reasons to end up in Houston or Dallas, but Microcenter is a great store to get good CPU+mobo for cheaper than anyone else. They have everything there, and they offer assembly.

I'd wait until closer to labor day to ask for lists. Anything we provide now will be obsolete from a component and pricing standpoint. Nvidia and AMD are launching new GPUs before then. Also, AMD will have their Ryzen 4000 series out before then. Also, (hopefully) COVID supply shortages will continue to subside by then.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks tennis2!

Houston/Dallas Microcenters are both 3 hours away and we can go there to buy parts. I am thinking to let him assemble his first computer.

So, from your comments, I am getting that there are shortages of components and perhaps the prices have increased due to Covid. A $2,000 gaming desktop could have been built for less $s before Covid. True?

My other son has moved back home due to COVID/his office moved work to home. So right now, the problem is that there is only PS4 to play for 2 persons after office/online school. I have asked them to buy another PS4 and they don’t want to do that (they want a PS5).

We are just trying the come to a best solution. Buy another PS4 for right now and build a good system when parts are plenty to buy?

I don’t know if existing desktop can play any game at good FPS or not if we add more memory and a graphics card along with SSD (temporary solution)?

Thanks again.

Your budget will build a top end gaming rig.

I might suggest first that you add a graphics card to your currently unused pc.
Your psu is an older unit of decent quality with only a single 6 pin aux pcie connector.
The strongest card that would handle would be a GTX1650 super,
That card would be relatively balanced with the i5-2600 processor.
That could get you started and give you a better idea of what you eventually want.
The pc would serve as your backup gaming pc.
I like the antec 300 case if you want to use it instead of whatever the i5-2500k pc is using.
On any graphics card you buy today, pick a EVGA unit.
They have a free 90 day trade up option if you should want something stronger.

As to your ultimate gaming rig, consider budgeting about 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.
Today, a very strong midrange gamer build would use a I5-10600K processor.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review
A RETX2080 super class card would be appropriate.
One could buy a stronger r7-10700K or even a r9-10900k, but what you get would be mostly more available threads and not a significantly higher boost clock or overclock.
New gen K suffiz processors will turbo tothe 5.0 range.
The ryzen alternatives are nice if you need many threads, but they do not boost as well as intel, and fast single threads are most important to many games such as sims strategy and mmo.
For fast action games, the graphics card is where to spend the budget.

So, from your comments, I am getting that there are shortages of components and perhaps the prices have increased due to Covid. A $2,000 gaming desktop could have been built for less $s before Covid. True?
Power supplies are insanely expensive right now. Expect to pay about $50 more than they're worth.

My other son has moved back home due to COVID/his office moved work to home. So right now, the problem is that there is only PS4 to play for 2 persons after office/online school. I have asked them to buy another PS4 and they don’t want to do that (they want a PS5).
This is an internal decision. Buy PS5 or gaming PC.

We are just trying the come to a best solution. Buy another PS4 for right now and build a good system when parts are plenty to buy?
Buying a PS4 right now probably isn't a great idea.

I don’t know if existing desktop can play any game at good FPS or not if we add more memory and a graphics card along with SSD (temporary solution)?
Yeah, an i5-2500K can play some games. Adding a GTX1650 Super with a 6-pin power connector like this would get you up and running.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I took the Intel desktop out from closet and started it up.

It has i5-2500K CPU @3.3GHz, 4 Core(s) and 8 GB of Ram. And it does have one 6 pin PCIe connector. And the MB has one PCI Express Slot. It has a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HD.

My kid wants to play Rainbow Six and Warzone. If the EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER can play these 2 games, then our current 1 system/2players problem will be solved until COVID/parts availability etc.

Do I need upgrade 8 GB Ram to 16 GB and would a 1 TB SSD be enough for games? I do have few 7200 RPM 1 TB hds.

So here is what I am looking at

Shopping list (BTW the Intel i5 has the same Antec 300 case as well)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER ($180) (available first week of Sep)
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1650-super-04g-p4-1357-kr/p/N82E16814487482

2 I am assuming that for gaming I do need to get a SSD and clone the HDD (only windows 10 and MS Word etc.) to SSD
Western Digital 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS100T2B0A ($105)
https://www.newegg.com/western-digi...al 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND-_-20-250-088-_-Product

The MB can take up to 32 GB DDR3 1333/1066. And I have 2x4 GB of https://www.newegg.com/corsair-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820145315?Item=N82E16820145315

So should I another 8 GB of this Ram (available in September) ($40)
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820233678

My kid looked at these 2 items as well. I have no idea about them. But I would buy something that he should be able to use for next built

Keyboard ($80)
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Ornata-Chroma-Mecha-Membrane-Individually/dp/B01LVTI3TO

Mouse ($50)
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-IRON...s&sprefix=corsair+iron,electronics,187&sr=1-2

That is about $460 and PS4 price territory. I asked my kid again that buy another PS4 and 2 games for $400.

He is telling me that then he would have to open game accounts twice (PS4 to Computer) and he will lose everything that he played on a new PS4. Some game progress, I think?

If he can play the 2 games reasonably well by upgrading and then move his PC games to new built and he will not loose anything. Something like linking via Steam?

I hope you folks understand better than a non gamer.

I really appreciate your input at the forum. A big thanks!

The nice thing about GPU/PSU/SSD/Case/etc is that they can be carried over to a new platform down the road.

KB & Mouse are highly subjective to personal preference.

No reason to go above 16GB RAM. Check at your local e-waste recycling center for cheap RAM. Adding another 2x4GB would be best.

If there isn't much on the HDD, I'd recommend just doing a clean install of Windows 10 instead of a clone. You can/should obviously back up the user files from the HDD. Then you COULD use the HDD as a data drive alongside the SSD. Then you could probably get away with a 500GB SSD. Depends on how many 100+GB games you intend to have concurrently installed.

Last edited:

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
1) Very good.

2) Buy a 1tb samsung 860 evo.
You can then use the samsung ssd migration app to move your C drive from the HDD to the ssd.
The app is a C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
I have used it many times without issue.
The 860 evo will be the best performing ssd, but for perhaps $20 less, the 860 or 970 QVO drives are good.
They read as fast as the evo, but sustained writes are not so quick.

Repurpose the HDD drives to be external backups.
All you need is a usb to 3.5" adapter cable, or for a neater setup a external housing.
In these days of ransomware, scams, viruses and so on, you should have EXTERNAL backup of anything that would be awkward to lose.

3) Unless you are multitasking, while gaming, 16gb is plenty.
But, do not simply buy another 8gb.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Buy a 2 x 8gb ddr3 kit. Speed is not important to intel.
Keep the old ram as a spare.

4) The keyboard and mouse are reasonably priced. Buy what son wants, he is then got a stake in the new setup.

Solution
I have to presume the existing PC has a KB & M? Can you re-use them for now?

How important is an RGB keyboard & mouse?
Gaming is helped by a responsive keyboard and mouse.
RGB (Red Green Blue) is simply cosmetic. adolescents love it, me, not so much.
Functionally it does nothing.
I do not know what you have now or how good or worn it is.
You could try out the old keyboard/mouse and let son decide if the change is worth it.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hi

We got the Geforce 1650Super card, but we cannot get it to work.

The Windows 10 is all updated (no optional driver updates etc.), and is on new Samsung Evo (used Samsung Migration). BIOS is most recent. Intel Drive and Support Assistant does not have any updates.

I even ran device manager as admn. and I only see Intel HD Graphics 3000 (on board). Nothing under view hidden devices.

The GPU fans run, but it is not detected. I even tried it both the slots.

I also tried Nvidia Geforce 84000GS in both the slots. Nothing is detected.

Both Geforce 1650 and 8400GS work in other desktop.

I even tried with a different psu, SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W. Still can’t get both GPS to detect.

I have cleared CMOS via jumpers and taking CMOS battery out.

I have only 1 ssd connected and nothing else so, 430 watts PSU should be enough or even 620 watts psu.
Only once 8400GS was seen under the device manager. But now nothing!

Maybe I am doing something wrong in the BIOS. Here are some of BIOS settings

BIOs UEFI Boot: Enabled
PCI Rom Priority: Legacy ROM
PCI Express No Snoop: Enabled
PCI Express ASTM Support: Auto

North Bridge
Initiate Graphic Adapter: PEG/PCI
Render Stand By: Disabled
PCI Express Port: Enabled
PEX16_1 – Gen X: Auto.

I have blown air into ports, everything, made sure the GPU cards are fully seated.

Need help

Thanks

might be a bad motherboard slot then, which puts us back where you started,
gimme a sec to put a PC together:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 CL17 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Triple Dissipation Video Card ($379.99 @ B&H)
Case: Rosewill NAUTILUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WBAX200 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Velocifire VM01 Wired Standard Keyboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Redragon COBRA M711 Wired Optical Mouse ($21.99 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 14 W 2.1 Channel Speakers ($19.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1601.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-08 12:56 EDT-0400

alternately, instead of the 5700XT, you could keep your 1650 Super for now, and replace it with the new RTX 3070 early next month.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The monitor cable needs to be plugged into the 1650 Super, not the mobo. If you connect to the mobo, its going to use the IGP from the CPU.

Do you have the aux-power cable attached to the 1650 Super?Yes

I get no signal, the monitor is black. I only get no HDMI signal. I think the slot on the MB is bad.

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
We might have a UEFI/VESA Mode 103 problem.

See if there's a BIOS update available.
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=511#download

It is a bad port in my opinion. I put a GeForce 8400GS in the lower port and it works. 8400GS does not work in the upper port.

There have been only 2 version to BIOS and both were to do with CPU micro code. I was on the latest BIOS version and tried a previous one as well.

I thought I will update it on the long weekend. New Samsung SSD works fine. I got 2 new sticks of 2x8 GB RAM and one stick is dead. So I will be returning the GPU and RAM.

I appreciate all your time and help. Thanks!

Chicago60

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Just an update!

GTX 1650 works in the lower slot. I also installed NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA website.

I have 16 GB of this Ram coming today Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHZ (PC3 12800)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2LGRPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had already put a new Samsung EVO 860 before the card

Do you think 1650 in the lower slot will be sufficient for the intended purpose?
PEX16_2: PCI-Express Gen2 x4 Slot can do 4 GB/s max total?

I had to remove the WiFi card from to make space from it. But LAN/Google mesh is giving 230 Mbps (better than wifi card).

(Sorry for another thread going in Graphics Sub Forum. I am just trying to help my kid).

Regards and many thanks again.

x4 isn't ideal of course, but it's likely still passable. You're more likely to run into performance degradation if you reach/exceed the available VRAM on the card, which shouldn't be very frequently with the detail levels you're likely to be using and the 4GB VRAM on the card.