[SOLVED] Looking for a new gaming headset any recommendations that aren't too expensive

Jan 14, 2020
Does anyone have any recommendations for a new headset that isn't to expensive, I have what I've looked at but I'm not sure because some people say they are good some people say they aren'tI have currently got the hyper X stinger which has been working good for a couple of years except the mix has stopped working, I was looking at 3 headsets so far, SteelSeries Arctis 5, Hyper X cloud 2 and the Cosair Hs70

Solution
The modmic is a step up from the Cloud II mic, but I wouldnt consider it a great mic for serious recording.
I cant speak directly for the dt770s, but they should be a solid performer compared to "gaming" headsets.
However, they are geared towards music, which may be disappointing in terms of gaming. Some people really prefer the virtual 7.1 surround headsets like the Cloud IIs provide.
Nov 26, 2019
I used to be a Logitech fanboy until I had one too many RMAs for prematurely-failing headphones.

I bought an Arctis 7 from SteelSeries and love it. I love being able to walk outside, down my walkway, down to the corner and across the street to pick up my mail while still listening to whatever or chatting up TS.

The Arctis 5 is also great.

The SteelSeries microphones are kinda crap, but no "gaming headset" has a quality mic. If you're considering buying used, make sure you get a 2019 model or later. Not sure if this applies to the Arctis 5, but the Arctis 7 went through a small redesign in 2019 to fix some practicality and comfort problems and they nailed those problems with the "2019 edition" and later.

Jan 14, 2020
I used to be a Logitech fanboy until I had one too many RMAs for prematurely-failing headphones.

I bought an Arctis 7 from SteelSeries and love it. I love being able to walk outside, down my walkway, down to the corner and across the street to pick up my mail while still listening to whatever or chatting up TS.

The Arctis 5 is also great.

The SteelSeries microphones are kinda crap, but no "gaming headset" has a quality mic. If you're considering buying used, make sure you get a 2019 model or later. Not sure if this applies to the Arctis 5, but the Arctis 7 went through a small redesign in 2019 to fix some practicality and comfort problems and they nailed those problems with the "2019 edition" and later.
Do you think the steel series mics are on par with other gaming headsets at this price range?

Nov 26, 2019
Do you think the steel series mics are on par with other gaming headsets at this price range?

I wouldn't say that it matters much at all. All gaming headset mics are sub-par, but this is coming from someone who's done a fair bit of work in recording studios. It's not a bad mic.

I don't think anyone buys their gaming headset based on how the mic sounds (or shouldn't, in any case), so best to just consider whether or not it has a mic and what type of boom it has.

Rigid mic booms last a lot longer than flexible mic booms. The SteelSeries headsets use a flexible boom, but it's also nearly completely retractable into the ear piece so you can put it away if you're not using it.

If you're serious about a mic, best to increase your budget a little bit and then get a good headset that doesn't have a mic at all (read: NOT a "gaming" headset) and then get a stand alone mic like a Blue Yeti (a good starter).

Jan 14, 2020
I wouldn't say that it matters much at all. All gaming headset mics are sub-par, but this is coming from someone who's done a fair bit of work in recording studios. It's not a bad mic.

I don't think anyone buys their gaming headset based on how the mic sounds (or shouldn't, in any case), so best to just consider whether or not it has a mic and what type of boom it has.

Rigid mic booms last a lot longer than flexible mic booms. The SteelSeries headsets use a flexible boom, but it's also nearly completely retractable into the ear piece so you can put it away if you're not using it.

If you're serious about a mic, best to increase your budget a little bit and then get a good headset that doesn't have a mic at all (read: NOT a "gaming" headset) and then get a stand alone mic like a Blue Yeti (a good starter).
Any recommendations on headsets the though about the dt990 with a mod mic maybe

Jan 14, 2020
Agreed, the mics get the job done and thats about it.
What more are you expecting from it?

You say gaming, in which case they will be just fine.
Or do you plan to do some sort of recording/streaming too?
I was kinda thinking of YouTube recording and someone recommended me the dt 770 with a modmic is this a.good start out

The modmic is a step up from the Cloud II mic, but I wouldnt consider it a great mic for serious recording.
I cant speak directly for the dt770s, but they should be a solid performer compared to "gaming" headsets.
However, they are geared towards music, which may be disappointing in terms of gaming. Some people really prefer the virtual 7.1 surround headsets like the Cloud IIs provide.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro
Solution
Jan 14, 2020
I'm only just getting in to yt so I don't know, is there any USB mics or anything you can recommend