[SOLVED] Looking for a new GPU for the future, help me decide

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Looking to get one of the new super cards from GTX but I am torn between the 2060 and the 2070 Supers. Going to be getting the one with Modern warfare bundled into it. I game at 1440p, I want at least 100FPS with decent quality settings on it. Do you think my CPU may be a bottleneck as it's only a 1700? I do have it over clocked to 3.8 though... and I only have a 650PW Supply. Any feedback to help me make my £400-600 decision is very appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
So, I'd probably stick to the 2060 Super. If you go with the 2070 Super the single core performance, which of course becomes a factor for ALL cores, is probably going to be an issue. I mean, don't get me wrong, anything including a 2080 TI COULD be used with your configuration, but you're not going to get the full benefit of it so unless simply being able to have full eye candy at all times is the main requirement, then it's a waste.

Your CPU isn't going to give you that most likely. Then again, if you're going to upgrade the CPU within a year or two it might be if you can live with the fact that until then you'll have a graphics card that is more capable than what you can actually take advantage of. At least when you do upgrade the...
If you need 100+ FPS at very high or ultra quality settings, then you want the 2070 Super. If you can live with a reduction in settings on some games, obviously based on how demanding a given game is, then the 2060 Super should be fine. I have the EVGA XC Ultra 2060 Super and at 1440p I cannot maintain over 100 FPS at very high or Ultra settings on anything that is seriously demanding. For most games, it's fine. I can do it. There are some though that are just going to require a reduction in settings but if you can live with high settings, then the 2060 Super does pretty well at 1440p.

Yes, your CPU is going to limit performance to some degree. It does not have very good single core performance. I would worry about that later though because you may find it does ok. I don't believe it's going to give you the ability to maintain the frame rates you are looking for in demanding situations though.

What is the exact model number of your 650w power supply?

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
If you need 100+ FPS at very high or ultra quality settings, then you want the 2070 Super. If you can live with a reduction in settings on some games, obviously based on how demanding a given game is, then the 2060 Super should be fine. I have the EVGA XC Ultra 2060 Super and at 1440p I cannot maintain over 100 FPS at very high or Ultra settings on anything that is seriously demanding. For most games, it's fine. I can do it. There are some though that are just going to require a reduction in settings but if you can live with high settings, then the 2060 Super does pretty well at 1440p.

Yes, your CPU is going to limit performance to some degree. It does not have very good single core performance. I would worry about that later though because you may find it does ok. I don't believe it's going to give you the ability to maintain the frame rates you are looking for in demanding situations though.

What is the exact model number of your 650w power supply?
I'm on around 60-70Fps with the 970, running at medium - high at 1080. If I bump it too 1440p then I can only run it at around 55Fps which is just a no go for me. I would prefer to run it at around 110Fps on high settings and at 1440p to get the most out of my monitor. I have the EVGA Gold GQ 650 Semi Modular. I've looked up the power draw and it says it's around 411 Estimated so I think it's fine on that part. Would you upgrade to the 2070 if the money wasn't a big issue with my specs or would you just go with the 2060?

So, I'd probably stick to the 2060 Super. If you go with the 2070 Super the single core performance, which of course becomes a factor for ALL cores, is probably going to be an issue. I mean, don't get me wrong, anything including a 2080 TI COULD be used with your configuration, but you're not going to get the full benefit of it so unless simply being able to have full eye candy at all times is the main requirement, then it's a waste.

Your CPU isn't going to give you that most likely. Then again, if you're going to upgrade the CPU within a year or two it might be if you can live with the fact that until then you'll have a graphics card that is more capable than what you can actually take advantage of. At least when you do upgrade the CPU you'll already have a card that can get the job done. If that's the case then the 2070 Super might not be a waste of money. Doesn't really matter how fast the GPU can render frames if the CPU can't feed them fast enough to keep your frame rates where you want to see them at.

Solution