Looking for a new laptop, budget around $1500

g-unit1111

Titan
1. What is your budget? $1500 Max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080P, but could go higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? The lighter, the better

5. How much battery life do you need? Anything over 3 - 4 hours would be good

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No because I do most of my gaming on my desktop, most gaming I would do on this would be something like Civ V / VI

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo / video editing, browsing / streaming,

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 256GB / 512GB SSD + at least minimum 1 or 2TB HD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg, Amazon, anywhere I can get a decent deal

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3 years or more

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Do not require one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Preferred brands: Acer, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Lenovo, Sager, HP, etc

13. What country do you live in? USA, California

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Current laptop, MSI G63 Stealth VR, is on the fritz. And numerous attempts to fix the problems I've been having with it have just made things worse. So I'm basically starting to look for a new laptop. I can max out the budget but anything in the $900 (min) - $1500 (max) would do. I am heavily leaning toward getting a Sager laptop because I would be very interested in purchasing an AMD Ryzen based laptop.

A while ago, I bought a lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme with which I am very pleased.
I use it for travel and civ IV is not a problem. It will last for a transatlantic flight.
It is light, <4 pounds.
There are many configurable options.
Usually lenovo prices upgrades with a premium.
You can do better by adding ram or ssd upgrades yourself.
There are always promotions so get on their mailing list.
Here is a link:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
A while ago, I bought a lenovo thinkpad x1 extreme with which I am very pleased.
I use it for travel and civ IV is not a problem. It will last for a transatlantic flight.
It is light, <4 pounds.
There are many configurable options.
Usually lenovo prices upgrades with a premium.
You can do better by adding ram or ssd upgrades yourself.
There are always promotions so get on their mailing list.
Here is a link:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

I like that laptop and I've had Lenovos in the past, their build quality is generally better than a lot of laptops that I've owned. The only downside I could see is no 10 key keypad and no secondary storage drive. Any thoughts on Sager / Clevo systems?

1. What is your budget? $1500 Max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080P, but could go higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? The lighter, the better

5. How much battery life do you need? Anything over 3 - 4 hours would be good

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No because I do most of my gaming on my desktop, most gaming I would do on this would be something like Civ V / VI

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo / video editing, browsing / streaming,

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 256GB / 512GB SSD + at least minimum 1 or 2TB HD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Newegg, Amazon, anywhere I can get a decent deal

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3 years or more

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Do not require one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Preferred brands: Acer, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Lenovo, Sager, HP, etc

13. What country do you live in? USA, California

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Current laptop, MSI G63 Stealth VR, is on the fritz. And numerous attempts to fix the problems I've been having with it have just made things worse. So I'm basically starting to look for a new laptop. I can max out the budget but anything in the $900 (min) - $1500 (max) would do. I am heavily leaning toward getting a Sager laptop because I would be very interested in purchasing an AMD Ryzen based laptop.

What software do you use?

(Just get a Mac and use final cut)

D

Deleted member 217926

With that budget look at the LG Gram line. They're light and have huge batteries. I had to talk myself out of buying one when I just got this new Lenovo. I just didn't want to spend the money but they're really nice and you can spec them a bunch of different ways.

https://www.lg.com/us/laptops

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
How about something like the Lenovo E15 with the 10th gen intel. It's $1000 on newegg and comes with a 512 GB SSD, so you just need to get the 1 or 2 TB hard drive you mentioned above and you'll still come out under $1500.

May 4, 2020
Hi g-unit1111

Taking into consideration your requirements, firstly I would say for photo and video editing the more number of cores your processor has the better it is.

In case you buy a MacBook, it will be a costlier option in the long term because you need almost all the accessories separately nowadays.

Also, the choice of your laptop will also depend on the complexity of your task. If you are into basic editing, the quad-core will work fine but if you require a machine to handle intermediate level task, a hexa-core processor is good to consider

In case you want to go with Windows, I would recommend 2 laptops

First - Dell Inspiron 3593 Laptop (for basic needs)

Second - Acer Predator Helios 300 for intermediate level photo and video editing

Do let me know what you think about it

g-unit1111

Titan
Hi g-unit1111

Taking into consideration your requirements, firstly I would say for photo and video editing the more number of cores your processor has the better it is.

In case you buy a MacBook, it will be a costlier option in the long term because you need almost all the accessories separately nowadays.

Also, the choice of your laptop will also depend on the complexity of your task. If you are into basic editing, the quad-core will work fine but if you require a machine to handle intermediate level task, a hexa-core processor is good to consider

In case you want to go with Windows, I would recommend 2 laptops

First - Dell Inspiron 3593 Laptop (for basic needs)

Second - Acer Predator Helios 300 for intermediate level photo and video editing

Do let me know what you think about it

I currently have zero desire to buy a Macbook. The Acer seems interesting but I'm looking for something more like a Lenovo Legion or HP Omen. I'm leaning more toward the Omen at the moment.