[SOLVED] Looking for a new Matx Motherboard that's future proof and ryzen 3600 ready

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Bought a ASRock B550M steel legend not long ago and I updated the Bios cause I figured that would fix my issue I had, long story short all the ports no long work and I'm just thinking about replacing it with something else. I was just curious as to wether I should rebuy that motherboard or if there's something else that's worth the while at a similar price point.

PS: bought some expensive fancy wifi card and I'd rather not feel like I wasted more money with a motherboard with built in wifi if I can help it.

Solution
I didn't do a fresh install of windows after I got it but I did do a fresh install of windows not long before I got my motherboard due to a blue screen error which was fixed through a fresh install. I thank you for trying so hard to help me with this issue but I've kinda lost all hope I can bring this back now and I think I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard. What would you recommend if I did revert to this decision? I contacted Scorptec ( The people I bought the motherboard from) and they gave me a postage stamp to send the motherboard back to be fixed but I don't want to do it just yet until I've gotten a new one.
My guess is many of your problems are because of the old Windows install. The registry has...
hi, mainboards with built in wifi mostly use m2 wifi (can be removed and sold for 10~20$)
as for future proofing...ryzen 5000 is last cpu serie for am4
so mainboards on market now are last gen, so no future proof (am5 next year or maybe at end of this year)
as far as electronic goes, failure can happen with anything, so no matter which u pick and it breaks u should be able to RMA/repair as long warranty is still running

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
hi, mainboards with built in wifi mostly use m2 wifi (can be removed and sold for 10~20$)
as for future proofing...ryzen 5000 is last cpu serie for am4
so mainboards on market now are last gen, so no future proof (am5 next year or maybe at end of this year)
as far as electronic goes, failure can happen with anything, so no matter which u pick and it breaks u should be able to RMA/repair as long warranty is still running
Ah alrighty, warranty doesn't apply to a bored you've altered vis the Bios though does it? Say I screwed up the software rather then the hardware am I still entitled? Also if I were to buy a matx motherboard what would you suggest?
Thanks for your help by they way mate

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
The nice Wi-Fi card will still probably work better than the Built in stuff
That I am glad to hear, money wasn't exactly wasted lol. You wouldn't be able to recommend me a board that will most likely cover these topic in my question? By future proof I just mean ryzen 5000 path in the future eg B550 with a 3600

Also if I were to buy a matx motherboard what would you suggest?
within price range of steel serie u got..hmm those boards are feature wise same, just different look
as for VRM, if u plan to stick with 6core cpu, there shouldnt be any issues with any board, some boards may throttle when u pair it with 5900x
so id say gettin either Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS or Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P
the both have 8+3 vrm config (same as steel serie)

kanewolf

Titan
Bought a ASRock B550M steel legend not long ago and I updated the Bios cause I figured that would fix my issue I had, long story short all the ports no long work and I'm just thinking about replacing it with something else. I was just curious as to wether I should rebuy that motherboard or if there's something else that's worth the while at a similar price point.

PS: bought some expensive fancy wifi card and I'd rather not feel like I wasted more money with a motherboard with built in wifi if I can help it.
Did you do a clean Windows install when you got the new motherboard? Your problems could be software rather than hardware.

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Did you do a clean Windows install when you got the new motherboard? Your problems could be software rather than hardware.

I didn't do a fresh install of windows after I got it but I did do a fresh install of windows not long before I got my motherboard due to a blue screen error which was fixed through a fresh install. I thank you for trying so hard to help me with this issue but I've kinda lost all hope I can bring this back now and I think I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard. What would you recommend if I did revert to this decision? I contacted Scorptec ( The people I bought the motherboard from) and they gave me a postage stamp to send the motherboard back to be fixed but I don't want to do it just yet until I've gotten a new one.

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
No you are not going to get a "future proof" board for an AM4 socket chipset. We have just had 3 generations on AM4, Ryzen 1,2,&3 which is about as much as you can expect form a socket generation. My guess is AM5 will be released in a yr or two, but you never know. Maybe Ryzen 4 will still be AM4. You can't really future proof when your socket series is as mature as AM4. That might be a factor if it was 3 yrs ago when we were on Ryzen 1 with the AM4 being new, but you usually get 2 generations on Intel platforms, and about 3 on AMD chipsets, so trying to future proof now is not feasible. If it is a concern for you get a cheap mobo now, and move to AM5 in a yr or 2.

Last edited:
No you are not going to get a "future proof" board for an AM4 socket chipset. We have just had 3 generations on AM4, Ryzen 1,2,&3 which is about as much as you can expect form a socket generation. My guess is AM5 will be released in a yr or two, but you never know. Maybe Ryzen 4 will still be AM4. You can't really future proof when your socket series is as mature as AM4. That might be a factor if it was 3 yrs ago when we were on Ryzen 1 with the AM4 being new, but you usually get 2 generations on Intel platforms, and about 3 on AMD chipsets, so trying to future proof now is not feasible. If it is a concern for you get a cheap mobo now, and move to AM5 in a yr or 2.
am5 announcement/release is planed for q3/q4 2021 (if no issues)
and it will be zen3+ not zen 4 (zen4 is planned for 2022) so not big perf diff between ryzen 5000 and next first gen am5 (expected 5% gain from cpu...ddr5 will have bigger uplift)

kanewolf

Titan
My guess is many of your problems are because of the old Windows install. The registry has the old motherboard config. That means things like network and USB may not work.
Try booting a Linux Live OS from a flash drive. See if things work better.
Any time you swap motherboards you should do a clean OS install.

Solution

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
am5 announcement/release is planed for q3/q4 2021 (if no issues)
and it will be zen3+ not zen 4 (zen4 is planned for 2022) so not big perf diff between ryzen 5000 and next first gen am5 (expected 5% gain from cpu...ddr5 will have bigger uplift)
Yeah, not keeping up on the latest. Point is, AM4 is getting old, don't expect to use it past 3 generations with AMD on average.