Looking for a new motherboard

erikpolano

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
This is my first time posting on this forum, and I thought I'd give it a shot, because I was having a bit of trouble figuring out what new motherboard to get; people here seem smart :).

If somebody could help me with this, I would deeply grateful, I'm feeling really insecure about what I am to do here.

Right now I have an Asus P4S533-MX motherboard along with 1.25 GB of SD-RAM, a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor and an e-Geforce FX 5500 graphics card.

As one can tell, not immensely impressive specs. I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade right around now. I am aware of the fact that I am going to have to scrap most of my computer. I am set on getting a Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor, and obviously I need a new motherboard to do that. I'm looking to spend somewhere between 50-175 dollars on a new motherboard that would allow me to use a Core 2 Duo processor and be flexible enough to allow me to upgrade a few parts in maybe a few years without having to buy a new motherboard again. My current motherboard is 9.6”x 9.6”(24.5cm x 24.5cm) and this is my first time upgrading my motherboard, so if you think size could be an issue while I'm trying to install it, please mention that. And hey, if the board was backwards compatible with SDRAM, I sure would be happy to not have to buy new ram as well.

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but if you feel that you could help, as was mentioned, I'd really appreciate it.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I like :D ASUS MB's, I've had a good run with them.

The new Gigabyte MB's with solid capacitors seem to be good now, but they hav'nt been in service for long.