Looking for a power supply for new build

ccroes

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Hello,

I am building my first gaming rig and have pretty much all parts chosen. The only problem i am having is with the power supply.

My chosen system will look like this:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z87 LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache BX80646I74770K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX770 Classified with EVGA ACX Cooler 4GB GDDR5 x 1 (That is for now but i plan on going SLI in the future and i want the PSU to be up to the task
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Case: NZXT Technologies PHANTOM 530 BLACK ATX Full Tower
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache
SDD: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB
Optical drive: ASUS Internal 24X SATA Optical Drive DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G (Black)
CPU Cooling: NZXT Technologies KRAKEN X60 Premium 280MM Ultra Performance Liquid CPU Cooler RL-KRX60-01 Black
Fans: I am thinking of adding extra fans to the case seeing that it only has 2(Rear/Front). These will be of assorted sizes.

Like i said in the beginning, i am confused about the power supply. I saw the power supply case size is ATX but most of the power supplies i find are ATX12V. Are these the same? I was planning on going with this power supply

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB7UIXM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

but given my doubts, i rather ask first before i made a mistake.

Comments on the build are also welcome. I put this rig together with a $2000 budget and am getting pretty close to that. Thank you for you help!

ccroes

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013

Well to be honest i have not looked at allot of brands of power supplies because a friend of mine recommended Corsair. I have plenty of time to make an informed decision so i'm in no hurry. That specific model you showed seems very interesting in price and features but i still have my doubts because of my not understanding the difference between atx and atx12V.

So my questions are, will that power supply fit in my case? Will it correctly power my motherboard? Is it capable of going for SLI in the future?

CM-Patrick

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Dear ccroes,

Yes the power supply will fit in your case. The power supply dimensions are an industry standard so the height and width of the power supply is always the same (5.9 x 3.4). The only thing that you will need to pay attention to is the length since this dimension is the only one that will change between power supplies

Regarding our V-Series, this is a good review to take a look at.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=350

Brandonpaquette

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Hello guys and girls first time post and very new to the building computers. I'm buying a new power supply because I would like to slowly start upgrading my computer. As of now when playing a big game of Starcraft 2 heart of the swarm my game will minimize. I was told it's doing this because lack of power to the video card (I donot know if this is right or not). Anyways I would like to SLI my EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB SC (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...) to any other EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB SC. Now I do believe that I will need to upgrade my mother board and I would like to get a better CPU. When I get home I will post what I already have in my computer (CPU, motherboard, ram and power supply) any information will be great thank you. Ooo And I would only like to spend about 100-1500 Canadian so something from newegg or tigerdiercit less is always better but I still want something good

Update this is whati have in the computer now:

Motherboard Asus M4A785-M
Ram DDR2-1066 g.skill 2GD x 4c
Allied power supply 500w
Lg cd-rom, cd-rw & DVD-rom optical drive
AMD Athlon (tm) II x4 635 2.90 ghz
Two WD black 7500 rpm 64 MB cache 1 TB x 2
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB SC

Any suggestions for motherboards and CPUs would be great to

I also have a thread called upgrade power supply help

This, and I'm sure Cooler Master is good quality! It isn't from some unknown Chinese company so you should be safe!