[SOLVED] Looking for a prebuilt to drop a Geforce rtx 3060 in or....

Dec 29, 2021
My computer overheated and now there's no display, though everything seems to light up(minus the mouse and keyboard) I replaced the RAM hoping it would be an easy fix and even though the DRAM LED no longer comes on, it still has no display. I've asked around for help and can't seem to get an answer so I'm just thinking about dropping my Geforce RTX 3060 into a new build... or selling the GPU on Ebay and just buying a prebuilt with a card. So I'm just wondering if there's some great buy out there for a computer that's set up for gaming, minus the GPU. I built this current one, but there were some headaches involved and I just don't know if I have the time or energy to just start buying parts and fixing it through trial and error. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Hello acid ... if you plan on putting anything into a pre built pc their are a few things to check if say for example you plan on putting a different graphics card in you need to make sure that it will fit. The other thing is of course the power supply , some pre-built machines are only supplied with only just enough power to run what was in it when they built it.

As ssmokeyy has mentioned Dell i need to give you a few warnings , over here in England they dont have a very good reputation , they are noisy , overheat and always crashing and dells own forums are full of postings about their own customer service people unable to fix pc's using remote access. I personally know 1 die hard gamer who has a Dell pc and he uses it all the time with headphones on so that he cant hear the fans.

The final choice of course is up to you but if you are intent on getting a Dell dont buy it online get a demo in a shop and also put it under load with a tough game just to see what happens.

Reactions: AcidWords
How do you know it overheated? Which component overheated?

What’s the full pc spec.

At this point is sounds like there is a chance the gpu has failed. It could be other things but unless you have proved the gpu is ok you could be looking to sell a broken gpu. If the gpu has failed I’d expect a 3060 to still be under warranty.

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Damn that sucks. Im not saying dell builds the best computers in the world but they have a standard. I know everyone hates that they build there own boards to just run there stuff and nothing more. But the way I see it is that it gives more people a chance to taste what higher end builds might be like. Yes u can't over clock it but for gamers they don't need to over clock if they spec it to what they really need or want. The xps line or even better but does cost more precision line have nice parts and last. Alienware no clue what Dell has done with that seems like its alot cheaper priced now. Never owned one. Have many dell xps and precision models at my bussines.

Dec 29, 2021
How do you know it overheated? Which component overheated?

What’s the full pc spec.

At this point is sounds like there is a chance the gpu has failed. It could be other things but unless you have proved the gpu is ok you could be looking to sell a broken gpu. If the gpu has failed I’d expect a 3060 to still be under warranty.

I don't believe it's the GPU since I tried eliminating it and it did the same thing. It overheated after the tower fan stopped working and the thermal paste for the CPU cooler dried out and apparently one side must not have been in all the way, because it wasn't making contact. I fixed that and it lasted 3 days before there was no display, and the mouse and keyboard no longer light up. I'm almost positive its the motherboard and I may just replace that, but it does seem like buying a prebuilt from Dell isn't a terrible idea right now.

Dec 29, 2021
Sell that card for some good money and could pay for half of the new build cost. Dell has amazing deals right now. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...ming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop here is an option with a 5800x and a rtx 3060 for $1399.

Thanks for the reply. This is the direction I'm leaning now. What do you think of this one? I know memory can be added but I like how this starts with a half a TB of solid state and a TB HDD. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...IsfRHK6d-ILaikBZlj2cVBOIP2KXMzmuIOwF-13-o7joV

logainofhades

Titan
Solution

ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I would recommend getting 12th gen its only $150 more and the case has feet. Also logain please go down the list and see that u can get either 1 stick of 16gb or 2 sticks of 8gb of memory for the same price. Its options dell is giving lots of options here. I looked at some of those abs brand pc's there using low end parts. some of those case will have heat problem with all the air flow thats blocked off. Nice to have fans but no point if they can't get any air to them. Dell has the money in the budget to do air flow test and build around that. Remember this tech reviewers get paid to do these reviews . This is the model for a 12th gen i would start with and mod up from there. u can play with the pricing to see what u can pay. I would pick a 12700k or better my self. The new intel gpu's will come out this year and there might be cool stuff happen when u link them together. Just like if i was to build a amd pc today i would use a amd gpu 6700xt or better. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...rationid=f4176be8-e44b-492a-b355-5db218d2cbe1 Also those memory speeds on those abs builds seem dated. 3000 mhz was like 10 years ago.

Here is a nice amd build https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...rationid=32d41b60-5046-443f-96cc-2f2b9ddf6b6c like i said not the biggest fan of alienware but good warranty.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021
I would not buy that dell. Single channel ram, and proprietary parts. I would do something more like this, where I can actually upgrade easily.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali560/p/N82E16883360190?quicklink=true

ABS is Newegg's custom build brand, and they are one of the very companies that has actually managed to get a recommendation, for pre-builds, from Gamer's Nexus.

Other models with a 3060ti, or better.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100019096 601359542 601357651 601387325 601357647 601387049 601357786 50008484&Order=1

Those prices are certainly tempting. A nice style for a prebuilt too... I've read a few negative things about ABS but it all seems to be from nearly a year ago. I've also had people say that Newegg isn't as good as it used to be after being bought out by a Chinese company? I don't know a lot about this, just wondering if there's any cause for concern, or do you think it's a quality build?