Question Looking for a psu/gpu that will work with my hpe-580t?

Jul 21, 2020
I'm looking for a power supply that is a straight swap with my current 460w dps-460db-3 a.

id like to upgrade my gpu but i was told i need a higher power supply. I'm afraid to swap it in the first place because i don't know what I'm doing

Windows 10
CPU: i7-950 quad core 3.06ghz (1mb L2, + 8mb shared L3 CACHE)
Motherboard: Pegatron IPMTB-TK / HP: Truckee-UL8E
Ram: 24GB CRUCIAL DDR3
SSD/HDD: 1.5TB 7200rpm sata 3gb)s had from 750gb
GPU: nvidia GeForce gt 420 2gb
PSU: dps-460db-3a 460 watt

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Based off of this article, you should be good to go with any ATX PSU off the shelf but I'd advise you to give us a full run down of the hardware inside that prebuilt. We will also need to know what you plan to upgrade to from your current hardware for future references so we're not suggesting an underperforming PSU for your upgrades.

If anything, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Also, where are you located, what is your budget and what are your preferred sites for purchase?

Ralston18

Titan
First: update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Second: read the following link from within this Forum:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Use the calculators to determine the required PSU wattage to support your build and allow for future growth.

Third: Read the reviews and select a PSU that is suitably sized, available, and fitted to your budget.

Do not skimp or otherwise go "cheap".

Jul 21, 2020
Based off of this article, you should be good to go with any ATX PSU off the shelf but I'd advise you to give us a full run down of the hardware inside that prebuilt. We will also need to know what you plan to upgrade to from your current hardware for future references so we're not suggesting an underperforming PSU for your upgrades.

If anything, please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Also, where are you located, what is your budget and what are your preferred sites for purchase?

CPU: i7-950 quad core 3.06ghz (1mb L2, + 8mb shared L3 CACHE)
Ram: 24GB CRUCIAL DDR3
SSD/HDD: 1.5TB 7200rpm sata 3gb)s had from 750gb
GPU: nvidia GeForce gt 420 2gb
PSU: dps-460db-3a 460watt

budget is flexible, i just wanna keep my PC going a few more years and maybe play a game or two. i do mainly music engineering and photo editing. but i was told I'd have to upgrade my psu to change my gpu. then i was told i didn't have many options because i have legacy bios and can't switch to UEFI because none of my stuff would work

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020
Do I even need a new power supply if I want to upgrade to a 4gb graphics card? Mine is 460w. I can't use the newer cards anyways due to being on s legacy bios

I cant seem to find any graphics cards that would work with my system.