Looking for a quality PSU + Case + HDD

ZMan941

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
UPDATE: Please see my last post with the results. I DID NOT select the supposed "best answer" and do not agree with it nor appriciate the fact that someone chose it for me.

Good Afternoon!

I am finally building a new PC as my 6 year old custom is finally showing its age for some of the activities I want to use it for (casual gaming). I have a few questions for you folks if you have the time.

First off, here are the specs of the build as currently planned. I have already have a few people check to ensure compatibility and have used replies to similar questions to pick out other components.

CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 Dual Channel (2x4GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST (DVD/CD RW Combo)

I am slightly flexible on the Motherboard and OS as I have not purchased them yet. The main debate with OS is to grab a copy of 8.1 or 7, but from what I have read there really isn't a reason not to get 8.1.
The Motherboard was recommended by a few sources and friends.
The GPU is being carried over as it is only 2-3 months old and was a last ditch effort to push my current PC a bit further, but the mother board can't take full advantage of it (PCI-E was the new thing at the time) and the CPU (Core 2 Duo E4500) is the bottle neck now. That said, having the power to be able to upgrade the GPU in the future is certainly a consideration.

The intended use of this computer is casual gaming and basic work. The general budget of my machine is about 800 or so.

I am missing three main components that I was hoping to get some input on.

Powersupply
So many options it makes my head hurt. I know you don't skimp on a quality PSU because it can take everything else with it if it goes, but when trying to read reviews of this and that I see so many complaints of premature death, DOA's, etc it worries me. I am also not sure what amount of power I need. Some of the calculators say 450-500W, a few friends say 750, and another friend says 650-750. I just don't know what to get beyond the fact that 80+ Certification is something to look for.
My current build uses a PC P&C Silencer 610 EPS12V and it has been going strong for the entire duration (although it is big and has an unruly amount of cables).

Though a very useful list I found on this site I determined that that unit was made by Seasonic. Is it a safe bet to say that if I buy another Seasonic unit (regardless of whose label is on it) I will get the same quality?
I also have read that Super Flower makes good units, and that they are under the hood of many of the Rosewill units, which seem to be an economical choice.

Here are a few models I was looking at. All but the Rosewill's and one Corsair have Seasonic listed as the OEM.
Corsair TX750 (Channel Well OEM)
Corsair TX750 v2
Corsair HX650
Corsair HX750 (Channel Well OEM)
NZXT Hale82 700W
Seasonic M12II 750
Seasonic G-Series 750
Rosewill Capstone 750
Rosewill Fortress 750 ($20 rebate and Additional $30 off. Ends today)

As much as I love my PC P&C, the Silencer Mk.III is a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Case
Another topic that makes my head hurt. I don't want headlights. i don't want a window. The main thing I am not fond of my current case (Lian Li PC-7B) is the top mounted PSU and the lack of cable management.
After an exhaustive search I am pretty much focusing on the Cooler Master HAF 912. I like the look, it is reasonably priced, and supposedly has good cooling and cable management.
Any contrary thoughts?
If I buy one, should I plan to buy any additional fans or will the standard be sufficient?

HDD
Much simpler but again I worry about durability. I was looking at a simple 1TB drive. The Seagate Formerly Known as Barracuda was currently on my parts list. Any other brand I should go for?

Sorry if this was too much wall-of-text. Just trying to provide as much background as possible.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Solution

ZMan941

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Blackbird:

So you are saying that my choice f HDD and Case are good.
I have never heard anything about Evga's PSU's. How does the quality compare to the Seasonic based units?

ZMan941

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

Just out of curiosity, in past threads you have recommended other PSU's of the same wattage and price point, such as XFX stuff and such. What makes this one stand out etc?

ZMan941

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I do not know who selected a best answer for me but I do not appriciate it.

I intentionally did not select a best answer because the only answer I got was not explained and was from someone who does not consistently suggest the same brand or unit for similar applications (something I verified). Therefore, the suggestion that was selected by "ErAnkurPaul" on 12/27/2013 is not a good answer at all. To me, a relatively new user here, it seems like people forcing the hand of the asker to allow certain people to try and get badges or achievements or whatever. This is unhelpful to the community as it will now appear to anyone reading this post in the future that the "Best Solution" was actually a good one. Do NOT select answers as the "Best" simply because they are there and do NOT select answers for me.

-----Actual Solution-----

Power Supply
I went with a Seasonic G-750 after doing more research and checking what other people have suggested for similar setups in the past. The research, combined with my previous SeaSonic made power-supply that is still runing well after 6-7 years of service, were the determining factor in my decision. It is a semi-modular, Gold Certified PSU.

HDD
I opted to get the latest Western Digital Black with a 1TB capacity. Shipping was a bit of a nightmare at first as I did not realize the method Amazon shipps theirs drives (the inner security box was loose in an outer Amazon box and that concerned me). I returned two drives to Amazon on these grounds and then ordered from NewEgg. The NewEgg packaging was much worse and the drive was DOA. I re-Ordered from Amazon and the drive arrived in the same box as other holiday gifts I had ordered. This seemed to help with the concerns as there was significantly more protective packaging to prevent everything from shifting. The drive arrived safely.

Case
I opted to go with the Cooler Master HAF 912. This is due to the ratings and suggestions of others, reviews from technical website, the economical cost of the case, and the features provided by the case. After going years with a top-mounted PSU case with no cable routing, the HAF 912 is a wecomed changed. Cable management is great, positioning of components is logical, and the construction seems solid. The HDD mounting options are great and the tool-less mount works well. Airflow for my components seems fine judging from the temperatures during what I consider "hard" useage. Please take this with a grain of salt as I am a moderate gamer and do not have high-end monster components that might generate more heat. The fan noise is minimal, at least by my standards of comparison.

The only "negatives" I could say with this case:
-The interior and rear are not black. not a big issue but it would be nice ifeverything matched.
-The tool-less 5.25 drive system was not satisfactory. The drive was not as secure as I was hoping so i removed it and used screws. To me this is not a big issue as I had planned on using scews anyways.
-Compared to my previous case, the replacement of the side panels is a bit strange. The panels must be aligned, hooked in at the bottom, then pushed forwrd. My past case they simply went stright into the side then slid forward.
-The front fan is mounted in the top of the two positions by default. This means that you must either lower it or raise your HDD if you wish to have active airflow acrross your HDD's. This was unusual to me as my past case had the fan mounted low right by the HDD's (although it did not have as many HDD mounting points!) I do not know if this is actually a negative or something simply not understood by me. There was no direction on which slot to mount it in or if moving the fan to the lower position would negatively affect cooling using the stock fans.
-The top mount position seems to be configured for the Cooler Master 200mm fan. This fan is a sleeve-bshing type which, to my knowledge, are best mounted vertically. Other 200mm fans will probably need modifications. This does not affect me ersonally as I do not plan on adding a top fan in the near future.

-----Final Specificaitons-----
CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 Dual Channel (2x4GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650
HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB WD1003FZEK
PSU: SeaSonic G-750 SSR-750RM
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST (DVD/CD RW Combo)

Total build cost was well under the planned buget.
The only vendors used were Amazon.com and NewEgg.com
Total As Built Cost: $675