Looking for a quality PSU + Case + HDD

ZMan941

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Good Afternoon!

I am finally building a new PC as my 6 year old custom is finally showing its age for some of the activities I want to use it for (casual gaming). I have a few questions for you folks if you have the time.

First off, here are the specs of the build as currently planned. I have already have a few people check to ensure compatibility and have used replies to similar questions to pick out other components.

CPU: Intel i5 4670K
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 Dual Channel (2x4GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST (DVD/CD RW Combo)

I am slightly flexible on the Motherboard and OS as I have not purchased them yet. The main debate with OS is to grab a copy of 8.1 or 7, but from what I have read there really isn't a reason not to get 8.1.
The Motherboard was recommended by a few sources and friends.
The GPU is being carried over as it is only 2-3 months old and was a last ditch effort to push my current PC a bit further, but the mother board can't take full advantage of it (PCI-E was the new thing at the time) and the CPU (Core 2 Duo E4500) is the bottle neck now. That said, having the power to be able to upgrade the GPU in the future is certainly a consideration.

The intended use of this computer is casual gaming and basic work. The general budget of my machine is about 800 or so.

I am missing three main components that I was hoping to get some input on.

Powersupply
So many options it makes my head hurt. I know you don't skimp on a quality PSU because it can take everything else with it if it goes, but when trying to read reviews of this and that I see so many complaints of premature death, DOA's, etc it worries me. I am also not sure what amount of power I need. Some of the calculators say 450-500W, a few friends say 750, and another friend says 650-750. I just don't know what to get beyond the fact that 80+ Certification is something to look for.
My current build uses a PC P&C Silencer 610 EPS12V and it has been going strong for the entire duration (although it is big and has an unruly amount of cables).

Though a very useful list I found on this site I determined that that unit was made by Seasonic. Is it a safe bet to say that if I buy another Seasonic unit (regardless of whose label is on it) I will get the same quality?
I also have read that Super Flower makes good units, and that they are under the hood of many of the Rosewill units, which seem to be an economical choice.

Here are a few models I was looking at. All but the Rosewill's and one Corsair have Seasonic listed as the OEM.
Corsair TX750 (Channel Well OEM)
Corsair TX750 v2
Corsair HX650
Corsair HX750 (Channel Well OEM)
NZXT Hale82 700W
Seasonic M12II 750
Seasonic G-Series 750
Rosewill Capstone 750
Rosewill Fortress 750 ($20 rebate and Additional $30 off. Ends today)

As much as I love my PC P&C, the Silencer Mk.III is a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Case
Another topic that makes my head hurt. I don't want headlights. i don't want a window. The main thing I am not fond of my current case (Lian Li PC-7B) is the top mounted PSU and the lack of cable management.
After an exhaustive search I am pretty much focusing on the Cooler Master HAF 912. I like the look, it is reasonably priced, and supposedly has good cooling and cable management.
Any contrary thoughts?
If I buy one, should I plan to buy any additional fans or will the standard be sufficient?

HDD
Much simpler but again I worry about durability. I was looking at a simple 1TB drive. The Seagate Formerly Known as Barracuda was currently on my parts list. Any other brand I should go for?

Sorry if this was too much wall-of-text. Just trying to provide as much background as possible.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator