Looking for a rack server, need help

symps

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
I dont know if this is the right place for this question, but im looking for a rack server. I dont care what brand or if it needs to be custom built. But i know i need at least the following:

-Xeon E5 v2 quad core CPU(need the CPU to support at least 1600Mghz ram speeds thats why v2)
-Motherboard that supports minimum 64GB ram (supports 1 or 2 CPU's doesnt matter)
-At least 8GB ddr3 1600Mghz RAM
-gigabit Ethernet port (i assume this is standard though)
-Dont need drives (already have drives)
-Dont need a raid controller (will buy one later)

Custom built or pre made doesnt mtter but my issue is, my budget caps at 500$ maybe 600$ but no higher so im not even sure if such a server is possible. I was looking at legacy Xeon's but they all cap at under 1600Mghz speeds for ram. If its possible, please find me one, if not it wouldnt surprise me.

Also if you are wondering what im using it for, im actually using it for various things.
-Practicing working on server hardware and linux CMD
-web hosting
-media server
-storage
-light game hosting (more or less minecraft and its server spec requiring equivalents)

i plan to upgrade the server in the future with even stronger specs. but of course right now im limited on money.
If anyone has input on if the above server im asking for even is good enough or too good for what im asking im glad to hear suggestions. Maybe i dont need such a good server rn, or maybe i need to wait. but if i can get by with something ill take it. Thanks to all who reply!

Solution
I would start by taking a look through EBay and narrow down exactly what you want. They have a ton of used racks, just be sure that you get everything you need if you go that way -- including all the rails and hardware.

Are you going to need more than simply a nice big EATX case with lots of internal 3.5 inch slots? I have one with a server board an SSD and 14 HDDs (8 off an Adaptec 8805), and SFP+ Intel 10Gbps card/cable to two other devices, and there is a ton of room, although I have no plan to add multiple racks so that worked for me.

RealBeast

Titan
I would start by taking a look through EBay and narrow down exactly what you want. They have a ton of used racks, just be sure that you get everything you need if you go that way -- including all the rails and hardware.

Are you going to need more than simply a nice big EATX case with lots of internal 3.5 inch slots? I have one with a server board an SSD and 14 HDDs (8 off an Adaptec 8805), and SFP+ Intel 10Gbps card/cable to two other devices, and there is a ton of room, although I have no plan to add multiple racks so that worked for me.

Solution