looking for a ram update (single channel vs dual channel)

Solution
The two memory modules may or may not work together. It depends on the characteristics of each module.

If lucky, the two modules of interest may work together at 1600 MHz, and at CAS 10, and maybe in dual channel mode and single channel mode simultaneously (Flex Mode) also. But this is not guaranteed.

If the characteristics are close enough, then the modules will probably work together. And if the characteristics are virtually identical then dual channel operation (for 4 GB of 8 GB module with the 4 GB module, and remaining 4 GB of 8 GB module running in single channel mode) may be enabled. But if module characteristics are not close enough to each other, then in the worst case, the computer may not even boot.

To be certain of...
The two memory modules may or may not work together. It depends on the characteristics of each module.

If lucky, the two modules of interest may work together at 1600 MHz, and at CAS 10, and maybe in dual channel mode and single channel mode simultaneously (Flex Mode) also. But this is not guaranteed.

If the characteristics are close enough, then the modules will probably work together. And if the characteristics are virtually identical then dual channel operation (for 4 GB of 8 GB module with the 4 GB module, and remaining 4 GB of 8 GB module running in single channel mode) may be enabled. But if module characteristics are not close enough to each other, then in the worst case, the computer may not even boot.

To be certain of compatibility, it is usually recommended to get a dual channel kit where the modules are identical in characteristics and will allow dual channel operation.

Solution

Saswata Sarkar

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
it is the same rams the old one is 4GB and which I want to buy that is 8GB.
If they work in dual chanel then the 8GB one will use only 4GB ???
Or, it will work perfectly???
Or, can i use them in a separately in single chanel perfectly ????

For dual channel operation, the two memory modules have to be of SAME capacity; for example, two 2 GB modules, or two 4 GB modules, or two 8 GB modules.

If one module has higher capacity compared to the other module then full dual channel operation is not possible due to difference in module capacities.

So, if using one 4 GB module and one 8 GB module, dual channel is possible only up to 4 GB (to match memory capacities for dual channel operation) for both modules. So only 4 GB of the 8 GB module will run in dual channel mode with the 4 GB module. The remaining 4 GB of the 8 GB module will run in single channel mode.

If you want to have ALL of the memory capacity of modules to be used in dual channel mode, then the two modules MUST be of SAME capacity (two 2 GB modules, or two 4 GB modules, or two 8 GB modules). There is no other way.

If using one 4 GB and one 8 GB modules, then single channel mode only may occur if the system can't get the modules to run in dual channel mode (as above).

There is no guarantee and it can't be predicted how the modules will work due to variations in characteristics. The only way to find out is to try them.

Saswata Sarkar

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
sorry for late........ Please tell me what i will do. i am a big multitasker, gamer and mid video editer... i have 1 stick 4 gb vengence.. Will i add 1or 2 same stick (4gb vengeance 1600mhz) of ram...

Getting another 4 GB module trying to match the existing 4 GB module will be difficult and time consuming as there is no guarantee the two individual modules will work together (properly). If the modules don't work together (properly), then another module will have to be bought and tried. But this replacement module might not work properly either with the existing module.

So. The best solution, which guarantees compatibility (and avoids possible problems trying to match individual memory modules) is to get a 2 x 4 GB dual channel kit instead that is compatible with your motherboard/system. The memory should work immediately with the system without any problem.

Use memory manufacturer memory search function at memory manufacturer websites to find compatible memory. One example is Corsair memory finder here.