[SOLVED] Looking for a reasonably cheap replacement of GTX 570 HD

dedekind

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
Hi guys,

a few years ago I built the following
Asus P9X79 pro
Intel i7-3820
16g (4x4G) of G.Skill Ripjaws Z @ 1600 Mhz.
EVGA GTX 570 HD

The idea was to do some video editing although I don´t need to do that anymore. Apart from normal office work, I use the PC to play an occasional game -- nothing very recent, more like Skyrim and things like that.

The video card has now died. I am looking for a cheap-ish replacement and I'd like to buy new, not used. I will get a new build at some point in the future so I´m not overly concerned about having the greatest card now.

The ones I could gather so far are:
GT 710
GT 1030 2 Gb
RX 550 4 Gb

Will any of those be any good? First one is half the price of the other two.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks. Yeah, cheap-ish means that kind of budget (80 pounds in the UK). Mind you, I really play occasionaly nowadays -- Skyrim, maybe some old FIFA, not much more really. To be honest, if the 710 works with Skyrim I'm happy, but I'm not sure how it compares with my current one.

The 710 is half as powerful as a gt 1030 so honestly not worth buying at all.
1030 and rx 550 are virtually on par, nothing between them at all apart from the amount of vram.

At that performance level vram doesn't honestly make that much difference.

If you do go for a 1030 make sure it's a GDDR5 model, there are some ddr4 models about with massively reduced performance.

FailG

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
I don't know what you should pick but a few months ago I had a RX 560 2GB and it had drivers that would reset it's settings every time the PC booted up. I am unsure if it's fixed now but I would go with one of those nvidia cards.

Hi guys,

a few years ago I built the following
Asus P9X79 pro
Intel i7-3820
16g (4x4G) of G.Skill Ripjaws Z @ 1600 Mhz.
EVGA GTX 570 HD

The idea was to do some video editing although I don´t need to do that anymore. Apart from normal office work, I use the PC to play an occasional game -- nothing very recent, more like Skyrim and things like that.

The video card has now died. I am looking for a cheap-ish replacement and I'd like to buy new, not used. I will get a new build at some point in the future so I´m not overly concerned about having the greatest card now.

The ones I could gather so far are:
GT 730
GT 1030 2 Gb
RX 550 4 Gb

Will any of those be any good? First one is half the price of the other two.
Thanks!
What is "cheap-ish" to you? What is your maximum budget? If the cards you picked are the most you are willing to spend, then the RX 550 with 4GB vram would be the best option. It will handle Skyrim mods better with it's 4GB of vram and may allow for higher fps at higher resolution in games than the GT 1030 with the same graphics settings.

dedekind

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
What is "cheap-ish" to you? What is your maximum budget? If the cards you picked are the most you are willing to spend, then the RX 550 with 4GB vram would be the best option. It will handle Skyrim mods better with it's 4GB of vram and may allow for higher fps at higher resolution in games than the GT 1030 with the same graphics settings.
Thanks. Yeah, cheap-ish means that kind of budget (80 pounds in the UK). Mind you, I really play occasionaly nowadays -- Skyrim, maybe some old FIFA, not much more really. To be honest, if the 710 works with Skyrim I'm happy, but I'm not sure how it compares with my current one.

The 710 is half as powerful as a gt 1030 so honestly not worth buying at all.
1030 and rx 550 are virtually on par, nothing between them at all apart from the amount of vram.

At that performance level vram doesn't honestly make that much difference.

If you do go for a 1030 make sure it's a GDDR5 model, there are some ddr4 models about with massively reduced performance.

Solution

dedekind

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
Ok, thanks guys. I finally decided to go for the 710 (2gb gddr5) at 40 pounds. Had a good thought and really I am barely playing these days, no video editing at all, so its just a temporary solution for my office needs since I am working from home.

For gaming or editing, none of the other two would have served much anyway, so might as well save the cash for other projects. Future needs might change and will get something else, probably a new build..

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, thanks guys. I finally decided to go for the 710 (2gb gddr5) at 40 pounds. Had a good thought and really I am barely playing these days, no video editing at all, so its just a temporary solution for my office needs since I am working from home.

For gaming or editing, none of the other two would have served much anyway, so might as well save the cash for other projects. Future needs might change and will get something else, probably a new build..

Thanks for the suggestions.

Could have got a 2gb rx 560 from cex for £55, normally decent and come with a 2 year warranty.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=sgraamdradrx5602gb