Question Looking for a recommendation on a cooler for an i7-8700k

DJRej123

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
I built this computer last year. I've built computer out of parts I've gotten from friends my whole life, but this was the first time I built from the ground up. I have recently learned that a Hyper 212 Evo cooler is considered inadequate for an 8700k. I don't usually mess with overclocking and not fully sure what the best way to do it is anyway but I have recently dabbled in it. I've gone in my UEFI and changed it so it went from 3.7ghz to 4.3ghz. The temps honestly weren't much higher, but it did raise the voltages a bit. I don't fully understand voltages and how you're supposed to control them. I guess I found it a little confusing because the processor gets advertised as 4.7ghz, but it's 3.7ghz out of the box. Is putting it up to 4.7ghz considered overclocking?

Eitherway, I'm thinking I want to upgrade my cooler. I decided I don't really want to go for liquid cooling or any massive dual heating towers. I was looking at the Dark Rock 4 (not the pro) and I think I could fit it, but I'm unsure because of my ceiling fan. I'm wondering if anyone might be able to tell based off these pictures I'm including. I thought about the Dark Rock slim because it's basically the same size as the Hyper 212, but then I'm not even sure if it would cool all that much better. I want a cooler that is better and maybe can handle a little overclocking, but I'd rather not have to remove the fan. If anyone knows of a better cooler that's also same size or just a little bigger, I'm open for suggestions.

Pictures of my setup:
Angle 1
Angle 2
Angle 3

Thanks

Reactions: Jimmyt2

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From the images, this looks like your case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
That case has a maximum cpu cooler clearance height of 194mm: http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M-TemperedGlass.html
Any air cooler would fit, but you're not after anything too large. Well, as long as you're not planning for a 5.0ghz overclock, you won't need to use the dual tower or single massive heatsinks.

The 8700k is easily capable of hitting 200w of power. The 212 Evo is designed to handle 150w of heat, so yes, it is inadequate for that cpu.
Dark Rock Slim(180w) would be ok, as long as you don't overclock. Dark Rock 4(200w) would be fine.

I know you said you want to avoid dual heating towers, but I still have to recommend the Noctua NH-D15S. This dual tower, single fan model is pcie slot and tall ram friendly, and cools just as good(within 1C!) as the regular NH-D15.

DJRej123

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
Only reason I'm avoiding Noctua, is I am one of those people that finds the color scheme just awful. That's why I'm leaning more Dark Rock 4. The only thing I'm not sure about with DR4 is if it's going to be too big with my ceiling fan being right above my heat sink. Kind of a toss up between that and a Slim. So if I'm not overclocking the slim would work? Does that count if the system is automatically clocking up to 4.7ghz?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've never heard of the top fans being issues with large air coolers. You have a 40mm thick fan or something? Because that's about how thick it would need to be to contact a tower air cooler.
The common issues are tall ram, and the side panel, which is what 'cooler height clearance' is referring to.
And when you have huge heatsinks like the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT, you have to move the rear case fan.

TRENDING THREADS