Question Looking for a relatively cheap ultrawide monitor

Aug 3, 2019
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
I live in the Netherlands.

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
I'll be using it mostly for my job, which is a lot of backend development, with the occasional front-end design for internal tools. I also like to wind down with a good movie every now and then or play a couple of (FPS) games with friends.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
I want an (preferably curved) ultrawide (21:9) screen that is somewhere between 30" and 40". It has to have resolution of at least 1440p.

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
At least 60hz, but since I don't game that often I don't really care. I guess more is better, but it's definitely not a priority.

5. How much are you looking to spend?
Preferably less than €600 euros, although I'm not sure if I'm asking too much for this price category.

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
-
7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
-
8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
Not buying, but I will keep on using one of my old monitors (Hanns.G HH24).

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
Not sure to be honest, but when I'm at the office it can power at least 3 displays, so this should not be a problem.

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
HDMI or display port

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
This will be a primary display.

12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
The monitor will be connected to a laptop using a TD 3 dock, but the laptop will be closed, so this will be the primary screen.

Too summarize:

I want an ultrawide QHD monitor for preferably less than 600 euros. I don't really care about having a quick response or refresh rate, colors are more important. I would like it too look professional, but this is of course subjective and might not really be possible at this price. For me it's more important that everything works well (no bleeding etc.) than it is having the best raw specs.

fermonos

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
LG 25UM58 25 inch Ultrawide IPS Monitor - This is probably the cheapest ultrawide monitor there is on the market right now. £144.29
Samsung LS34J550WQUXEN 34-Inch LED Monitor - Realised you wanted QHD, so this is QHD (3440 x 1440 pixels) but double the price but also 34" like you wanted. £304.99
Samsung U32R590 32Inch Curved UHD 4K Monitor - Personally I use this, but it's not ultra wide and it's 3840x2160 but it's a superb monitor. I'm in love with it, I did get it at £309 though and it's currently a bit more but it's the only monitor I can vouch for here. £365.58

LG 27UK850 27 inch 4K UHD HDR - You said colour is most important to you and if that's the case I'd probably go with this one although I've not used it so I don't know how it performs. It is HDR though and HDR gives amazing colour depth and selection. It's UHD (3840x2160) but only 27" and a little pricey but if you order from amazon you can always send it back if it's not something you prefer. £419 supposed to be £595 so you save £176 (30%)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
Hi fermonos, thanks a lot for taking the time to do some searching, the Samsung ultrawide you posted definitely looks promising & for some reason I didn't find that one myself. My budget is around €600, so it definitely still fits!

The non-ultrawide 4k Samsung monitor also looks good, but to be honest I'm really looking for an ultrawide, and 4k feels a bit overkill for me, since I'm happy with the pixel density on my 1080p screen. I might have a look at buying 2 normal qHD screens instead of 1 ultrawide though (but I think ultrawide definitely looks better)

Edit: Am I really stupid or did the comment I was responding to get deleted?

fermonos

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
Hi fermonos, thanks a lot for taking the time to do some searching, the Samsung ultrawide you posted definitely looks promising & for some reason I didn't find that one myself. My budget is around €600, so it definitely still fits!

The non-ultrawide 4k Samsung monitor also looks good, but to be honest I'm really looking for an ultrawide, and 4k feels a bit overkill for me, since I'm happy with the pixel density on my 1080p screen. I might have a look at buying 2 normal qHD screens instead of 1 ultrawide though (but I think ultrawide definitely looks better)

Edit: Am I really stupid or did the comment I was responding to get deleted?

No for some reason it says 'This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors. ' now on the message. (should be back now, doesn't say this on the message anymore)

I think it was all the editing I was doing which made it need approving lol.

I know you think 4k maybe overkill but the bigger the screen you get the more the pixels count, I mean 2k might be fine for around 30" but if you go any bigger especially 40" you definitely want 4k since monitors are meant to be looked at from about 1-2 ft away. So the closer you are the more you can see the pixels etc and bigger screens you can see the pixels more which is why 4k is better for bigger monitors. It's really up to you.

EDIT: Also, if you're buying an ultrawide because you need screen space, I'd probably go with 4k since you can fit more on the screen, my 4k monitor can fit 4x the amount I could on my old 1080p and even when it's made smaller you can still see it clearly because of the pixel density.

Basically if you're going for ultrawide just for screen real estate don't forget that 4k monitors can fit a lot more on the screen as well since the resolution is so much higher.

Last edited: