Question Looking for a second opinion on if my MOBO is the cause of my hard crashes.

Jan 19, 2023
For context of the past, I built my PC at the start of 2020 with these specs:
MOBO - B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU - RTX 2060 Super FE
CPU - Ryzen 3600
Ram - 2x 8gb Ripjaws 3200
PSU - Corsair CX650M 650 W 80+ Bronze
Storage - 1x Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2 SSD
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5 7200 RPM Hard Drive
CPU had stock Wraith cooler, Case fans included 2 in front, 1 in back, 1 on top

I used this system with zero issues for about 1 year before I added another set of the exact same RAM. This didn't cause any issues. About 1.5 year after the RAM change, I upgraded my GPU to an MSI Gaming Trio Z 3070. This never caused any crashes. I swapped 3 of my noctua case fans for 3 be quiet! lightwing fans but doubt this affected much. About 1 month ago, I decided to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 5900X and also added a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black CPU cooler because I figured the stronger CPU should have a better cooler. Not long after this upgrade however, I had Escape from Tarkov open, but was watching youtube videos while alt tabbed, and my screens went blank, case fans went full blast, and my case power button would not shut down the system after 10 seconds of holding it. I ended up flipping the power on my PSU and powering it back up, which went completely fine. This was the first time I'd ever seen a crash like this and I didn't understand how it could have happened, so I researched and found a similar-ish post on the forums here from a while back. The consensus from that post was that either the PSU or MOBO were to blame, so about 2 weeks ago I swapped PSU to an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GT 850 W 80+ Gold. I was convinced this had to solve my issue. This lasted 2 weeks with no crashes, but alas, while playing Valheim in an area of extreme load, the crash happened again, exact same blank screens, no power button response to power down. I've read some other posts suggesting that GPUs sometimes have incompatibilities, so I put my 2060 super back in, went to the same spot in Valheim, and the crash happened again, only it took longer than the times I made it crash on the 3070. Note that during the Valheim crashes, my GPU temps were no higher than 50c and CPU was no higher than 60c according to MSI afterburner and AMD Ryzen Master. I feel like it has to be the MOBO at this point, but wanted to see if anyone could offer potential insight before I order another new part in hopes to fix my issue.

Jan 19, 2023
Is BIOS up-to-date?

What about AMD chipset driver?
Thanks for the reply.
I just recently updated these to their most recent versions on MSI's website, so yup. I've also got the latest Geforce drivers for my GPU. Since I'm still looking everywhere for potential fixes, I also saw someone mention memtest86 for potential RAM issues, so I might run that tonight after I go to bed as well.

TRENDING THREADS