Looking for a simple 3 monitor setup

reveiled

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
I am tasked to setup a 3 monitor setup.
The person using it does extremely complex spreadsheets & needs the real estate.
He currently has 2 23'' Samsung displays & also looking to replace his agin computer.
What is your recommendation for a decent video card that will output to 3 displays?

Here is the setup I was thinking:
Dell Vostro 230
XFX HD685XZNDC Radeon HD 6850 (capable of 3 output)

Give me your ideas!

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
If he/she is not doing any gaming or 3D rendering, then the 6850 is definitely overkill. Any 5xxx or 6xxx card can put up 3 monitors in eyefinity with a single card, but there is a limitation. At least one of the monitors will have to use an active Displayport connector (it's actually mini displayport on the card and the monitor usually takes regular displayport). Just make sure one of the monitors has a displayport input. "Active Displayport" means you can't just use a cord adapter to go from displayport to DVI or HDMI- it requires an active adapter that typically requires a power source like a USB cord (which can get pretty obnoxious).

Eyefinity is still really the best way to get 3 displays, but the displayport requirement is the biggest gripe I've heard.

reveiled

Distinguished
May 15, 2011

It's an office computer, he uses it just for quicken & excel. He needs 3 screen to manage some complex excel sheets.
Is there a card that you would recommend aside from the one I mentioned. Or would you just go with that?

Thank you