Looking for a solution for shutting down of PC while playing games

bumba6540

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
(Please pardon my English)
So I have a PC which I built in 2016. The problem is whenever I play any games, the PC just shuts down after 10-15 minutes. Thinking it happened because of gpu temp I opened the case and blew air from a standfan directly on the card and the problem went away, somewhat(but still it shutdown after playing GTA V, TW3 for around 3-4hours).
But now it escalated into a nightmare. I cannot even play POE Deadfire without the PC shutting down in about 10 minutes. I cleaned the dust, reinstalled windows, did whatever I could but to no avail. Please help anyone.
My system:
CPU- AMD FX 6300
GPU- ZOTAC GTX 960 2GB( PC shuts down when gpu temp is around 65-70C)
PSU-CORSAIR VS550 550W
RAM- CORSAIR 8GB 1633MHZ
MOBO- GIGABYTE 78LMT USB3

Solution
Check the CPU and GPU temperatures, but my primary guess would be that your power supply is dying, which is no surprise since it is such a bad unit. But before replacing it, one last resort is to run memtest86 to check for RAM errors. If your CPU and GPU temperatures are fine, and memtest86 does not show any RAM errors, then you should get a good power supply first and foremost.
Check the CPU and GPU temperatures, but my primary guess would be that your power supply is dying, which is no surprise since it is such a bad unit. But before replacing it, one last resort is to run memtest86 to check for RAM errors. If your CPU and GPU temperatures are fine, and memtest86 does not show any RAM errors, then you should get a good power supply first and foremost.

Solution

Basically, the PSU is not providing stable power to all components, causing them to malfunction and the PC to shut down to protect itself from damage.